Active Fermentation Churning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekraken

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I know the only way to really tell where your fermentation process is at is by taking a gravity reading.

I've always used buckets as primary fermenters, this time I'm using a plastic carboy as primary for the first time, actually being able to see what's going on is pretty cool! My question is can you say that you are actively fermenting if you can still see particulate circulating or churning away inside the fermenter?

Also, what is this 'particulate' made up of exactly and is there a term for it?

I don't get the question.

What you see is break and yeast in circulation...

Cheers!

The primary question: if one can see the junk swirling around in the fermenter, could one say that they are still actively fermenting? In other words, if I wanted to check gravity to see if I'm ready for secondary and then I notice all the junk still swirling could I stop right there and not bother popping the bung off the carboy?

Secondary questions: that junk that is swirling around in there, what's it composed of (day_trippr already answered yeast and break), and finally is there a technical term in the brewing world for that swirling junk?

Pretty sure the cold break is proteins malt partials it would also have yeast in it. Probly better to use air lock activity as a guess.

The primary question: if one can see the junk swirling around in the fermenter, could one say that they are still actively fermenting? In other words, if I wanted to check gravity to see if I'm ready for secondary and then I notice all the junk still swirling could I stop right there and not bother popping the bung off the carboy?

Secondary questions: that junk that is swirling around in there, what's it composed of (day_trippr already answered yeast and break), and finally is there a technical term in the brewing world for that swirling junk?

For your primary question: Yes, if you see the junk swirling around your fermentation is still active. It will, however, settle before the fermentation is complete.

Secondary Question: I think "junk" is technical enough and day_trippr is correct.

All I know is no matter what you all it I can't seem to quit sitting and staring at it with my fermentation chamber doors open..... Is that weird?

Back