Acrylic bathtubs will brewery chemical cleaners damage them? (PBW, Iodophor, etc.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I just moved into a new apartment and there's a rider in the lease that talks extensively about how you can't use "abrasive cleaners" like comet or ajax and should only use soap water and a soft sponge.

I'm planning to sanitize and clean my kegs and fermenters in the bathtub. I usually sanitize with iodiphor in primary and saniclean for kegs. For cleaners I use either PBW or craftmeister products (alkaline wash or oxygen wash).

Are these chemicals safe to use on acrylic?

If there are any oil rubbed bronze finishes on something like the drain I would not use any of the cleaners you listed. It will strip the finish. Not directly related but I’ve also had bad luck with oxyclean free and certain plastics..

I can’t answer about the chemicals. Are your kegs new or used. All my kegs are well used and they leave hellacious black marks in my porcelain tub that I can only clean with Barkeeper’s Friend, which I don’t think would be good for your situation.

I can’t answer about the chemicals. Are your kegs new or used. All my kegs are well used and they leave hellacious black marks in my porcelain tub that I can only clean with Barkeeper’s Friend, which I don’t think would be good for your situation.

I've got a mix of new and used kegs. Since I'm scaling back from 10g to 5g I'm going to ditch the used ones. Have had the same experience on some of the used ones as you

I don't think the new ones will rub off and leave marks. However, to be safe I'm going to buy one of the plastic mats to put on the bottom of the tub.

Last edited:
If there are any oil rubbed bronze finishes on something like the drain I would not use any of the cleaners you listed. It will strip the finish. Not directly related but I’ve also had bad luck with oxyclean free and certain plastics..

Not sure, but I'll check when I move in. Not so concerned about the finish on the drain. More concerned about the acrylic material the tub is made from

Contact tub installers/dealers/manufacturers about cleaning and maintenance as well as good detergents and other routine maintenance products to use?

When new, acrylic is very smooth, not much will stick to it. Don't know if that changes with time.
Now once the surface gets abraded it's only downhill from there.

Back