Acidulated Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewers,

I'm thinking of try acidulated malt in my next IPA to help with a little crispness. I also need to adjust my PH slighty in my mash. I'm not at the point of brewing salts yet for the PH (I'm on a well with SUPER hard water and I don't know the water report). Anyway, just need some input for a typical 5gal batch of 1.053-1.065. Thanks in advance!!

-Dogman

1% of Acidulated malt in a recipe will reduce the mash pH by 0.1. You're going to have to know where you're starting to know where you're going. 88% lactic acid works very well to adjust mash pH. You can use any of the available online calculators to figure out how much, but most of the better ones will require you to know what minerals your water contains at which concentrations. Again, you have to know what you're starting with.

I brewed yesterday. Adventures in Homebrewing's classic american pilsner. Note the grain bill is 6 row. I can only guess, but must have to do with the diastatic power needed to convert the corn? anyhow...

9.0 lbs (4.08 kg) 6-row malt
2.0 lbs (0.9 kg) flaked corn
7.05 oz (200 g) acidulated/sauermalz malt

It was an 11 gallon batch. I drew 20 gallons out of the lake behind my house for the project. Soft southeast river/surface water...so I added 1 teaspoon of gypsum, half a teaspoon of epsom salt, 1 tablespoon of 5-2 brand pH stabilizer pre dough in and 1 /2 tablespoon after the grains were in.

pH after 10 mins was 5.15.

Latest posts

Back