acidic taste (overcarbonation? )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomaster

Reaction score
Been lurking on homebrewtalk the last couple of months. This is my first post. ;) I used to do partial mash brews years ago and took a long hiatus (10 years) and am now doing all-grain.

Anyway, kegged my first batch the other night. It was an IPA. I acelerated the process by rolling the keg around at 20 PSI for around 5 minutes. Tasted the beer. It tasted absolutely great, spot on, so to speak. It was nice and citrusy, with a little spice (hops were chinook, cascade, and willamete).

It did not generate a ton of head, so I thought maybe it could use a little more carbonation. I put it in the kegerator overnight and pump the pressure up to around 15 psi. It seemed to have creeped up overnight to nearly 30.

It still did not seem to generate an excessive amount of head, but it now has dominant acidic, like a burning taste and the citrus flavors are non-existent. If I swirl a small amount of beer in the glass for about 30 seconds or so (while it continuously generates head), that flavor essentialy goes away and the expected citrusy, somewhat spicy hop profile returns.

Is the beer overcarbonated? I am dumbfounded as it isn't generating excessive head, at all but I figured the acidic taste was from too much carbonation. My serving pressure is 10 to 12 PSI, BTW.

Any insight is appreciated.

Sure sounds overcarbonated to me. Take it off the gas. Vent the keg. Let it sit for a few hours. Vent again. Repeat until it tastes good.

It wont be fully carbed EVEN when you force carb it for Like 3 to 4 days...

It wont be fully carbed EVEN when you force carb it for Like 3 to 4 days...

Huh? That is 100% wrong. If you set it to serving pressure, it won't be done in 4 days, but if the pressure is cranked up, it will carb in WAY overcarb if you leave it too long.

I meant to say, If you force carb it for 12 hours then set to serving pressure and let it sit for 3 to 4 days, the beer will not be fully carbed. there was a fellow HBT member who did a formal write up about it. With a video as well.

Back