Acid Malt vs Phosphoric Acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrT2u

Reaction score
I have been looking a brewing a Klosch. Most call for about 3% acid malt to lower ph, I assume.

I have been using BrunWater and Phosphoric acid to lower my ph, so what I need to know... do I need the acid malt if I adjust my water with phosphoric acid?

You need your pH to be in the right range for you mash. How you get there is up to you. Acid malt was invented to make the brews fit into the German purity laws that stated that beer was made from water, barley, and hops. By acidifying the malt, they could adjust their water to the pH needed without adding any chemicals. You are'nt bound by the purity laws.

I exclusively use acid malt for mash ph adjustments. I exclusively use phosphoric acid for sparge water. I think years ago when I started brewing I had difficulty with the phosphoric acid having enough strength to control the mash. After researching I discovered that traditional breweries made acid malt. If you read up on your own you will realize what a pain in the but it is to make. The. I discovered I could just purchase it ready to go. Same price as other malts so. Dry soft effective and very consistent and predictable.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back