Acid Malt Issue -- Used too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alby44

Reaction score
Latest recipe this weekend, I incorporated Acid Malt into my bill and am pretty sure I used too much.

Partial/Extract bill included:

12.8 oz 40L
2.4 oz Roasted Barley
...also used 8 oz Acid Malt in the mash
Then, normal DME/Hop schedule

Goal was to pair acid malt with my Brett L yeast. Afterward, I've realized, but please verify for me, that this was probably way too much. I'm also going to add in some raspberries during secondary.

Guessing there is nothing I can do at this point....what ill effects, if any, can i expect?

So this was like 5% of a typical all-grain equivalent grain bill? Don't worry, that's not too much. Yes, it may contribute some flavor, but you're fine. 3-5% isn't uncommon.

That said, I'm not sure why you used it here.

I used a pound in a 5 gallon batch of 3711/Brett L. fermented saison. Honestly, you wouldn't know it was there. A half pound isn't going to do a whole lot, although Brett is supposed to prefer acidic conditions.

Great, thanks for the insight...had come across the same thing that incorporating acid Malt when using brett. Sounds like my inclusion won't make a that much of a difference anyway....

Back