acid carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltbarleyhops

Reaction score
ive come across a free suply of glass carboys. but they used to contain battery acid!! anyone know if this can be cleansed to be safe?

i almost feel silly but i had to ask

If they can handle battery acid, they'll handle left-coast IIPAs no problem.

Seriously, glass is the most cleanable thing around. They'll be fine.

My mom used to work in a university lab. She said there were waiting lists for them once they were empty. My grandparents still have at least 5 they use for planters and decoration.

yes you can clean them and yes they are super tite
and crazy expensive

that thing is so bad ass i cant belave noone comminted on it
5 gal pyrex carboy, kick ass!
but hey i love lab glass.

I'm a relatively new brewer (1.5 months, 3 batches) and have been browsing the forums... I just came across this and jumped for joy! I had no idea about the Pyrex carboys. I looked online and saw a 5 gallon one listing for $150.

Here's the story... I got into homebrewing when my brother-in-law gave me all his equipment. He had never used it. He got it from a friend who moved out of the country and couldn't take it with him. That guy had used it a few times. He worked in a chemistry lab... you see where this is going...

In the bundle came three carboys: a standard 5 gallon, a 6 gallon, and a 5 gallon Pyrex no. 1595 solution bottle. I never thought to research it.

I've not used it yet since it has a huge bung hole (snicker) #12. I ordered a couple of stoppers and they just arrived in the mail today. I plan on using it for Apfelwein.

Here's a pic... You can see my new drilled stopper on top and the labels the previous owner had on it.

pyrex.JPG

my god look at the price of thoes things
http://www.wilmad-labglass.com/group/779

this thing was made in 1944. it is filthy and i expect it will take a while to clean. why would lead be an issue? it had new not used monsanto acid in it

yep. many of the glass carboys sold now a days are sourced as acid carboys but just never used for that. As long as you clean the carboy really well it should be fine. PBW and Oxyclean are both caustic and should not be put in the carboy until you have it well cleaned just by rinsing and a mechanical scrub with a carboy brush.

What types of businesses get acid in these? I have friends that are Ph.D. chemists at a textiles plant, and they said they only ever see a 1G size...

Acid carboys were originally batteries in marine use. I have one that I use as a terrarium . Can you brew in them? I would think so- the way you clean glass ware in medical labs is to use hydocholoric acid- so just wash them well.
To the person who has a batch of them- i would be interested in taking some off your hands. [email protected].

Latest posts

Back