ACF members?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabb

Reaction score
I'm entering my first culinary competition soon and I'm looking for some guidance. It's a Army culinary competition but it is getting judged from members of the ACF. I'm doing Lamb. I need 4 plates. And ideas or helpful hints.

So been looking into it. I may have a hard time doing that because I only will have 60 minutes from start to finish. I'm going to be looking into a work around maybe another cut of Lamb.

Any other ideas out there?

Not sure yet. I have to tell them. I was thinking bone on loin but it's kinda always played out. I wanted to be the plate that's different in a good way.

Well I dunno. I like a good lamb curry, personally, but for a competition maybe those types of dishes are difficult to make a good-looking dish aesthetically.

Probably not much help but I have an authentic Greek place down the street that makes an amazing Gyro. No idea how they spice it, but nice big chunks of lamb. Love those dang things, it's all I eat there.

I love Gyro too.

Has anyone ever smoked Lamb?

I was just thinking whole rack, little salt pepper oil rub smoked until done. ?

Some advice for during the competition because they will be watching...

Keep your station clean, tools that you use a lot but aren't currently using in a bucket of sanitizer, i.e. your chef knife. Use tasting spoons, never your finger or the spoon you're using to stir it (automatic disqualification in a lot of ACF comps).

Can you get lamb livers or sweet breads? Nearly any other cuts of lamb (other than the loin) will require a long cook time. Not always but usually. Pressure cookers can help and using a recipe with small pieces can help breakdown the chewiness.

Lamb can be overplayed but nearly any food in a food comp is. It is hard to be original when new species of game aren't really popping up out of the forest.

If you can make a cheap cut of meat taste great that can go far but presentation and flavor will be top points.

So alot has changed in the last few days. I'm not only doing the Lamb event I'm also doing two mystery basket dessert categories. One by myself and one with a partner. Plus I'm part of the team for the 80 top. Crazy stuff.

So I ended up doing a couple of events. It was a blast. Probably best two weeks in the Army yet. I ended up with a Silver and a Bronze. Plus so much knowledge I can't begin to describe.

Latest posts

Back