Acerglyn (mead with maple syrup)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Litoris

Reaction score
ok, someone with more experience talk to me about whether this sounds viable and if not, why:

1 gallon Acerglyn
1.75 c light honey (probably clover)
1.75 c grade B pure maple syrup
water to make up the gallon
Red Star Pasteur Blanc (or another champagne yeast)

Rack at 2-3 month intervals, feeding 1 c maple syrup until we hit stabilization or 12% before bottling.

This is the scaled down idea, obviously, I want someone to break it for me (if it isn't viable) and add suggestions (if it is).

If you do end up doing this let me know how it turns out. I have 2 pounds of honey and a bottle of grade b maple syrup sitting down stairs. Hmmm maybe I'll just make a gallon for myself.

Since some of the fermentable are not coming from the honey would it take less time to mature? Such as in a braggot typically they take less time since half the fermentables come from the LME.

I think it sounds like it could turn out pretty good. I love maple syrup.

I had planned on just doing still, but we might end up doing half and half still and sparkling. I'll definitely post when we finish it to say how it turns out. I might start it this weekend, since no one has given me a reason to believe it isn't viable. We will be bottling 2 one gallon beer batches so I will have 2 empty carboys and airlocks.

Oh oaked maple Mead sounds really good. First thing I saw and had to post.

We've got some oak essence that we're going to use when bottling today's "rum runner stout" -- we'll be adding a shot of rum with a little oak essence to the gallon before we bottle it. If we like the way it flavours the beer, we might use a bit of it in the acerglyn. Looks like I don't have as much maple syrup on hand as I'd thought, I'll be running to the store. Also, based on a little research, I think I am going with the Lalvin D47, it will tolerate up to 14% and is a nice, rounded yeast (that I happen to have on hand!).

Back