acerglyn is.....thick? Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrMary

Reaction score
So I decided to re-rack my acerglyn (2 lbs local maple syrup, 1 lb honey). I started it in May. It is super cloudy, though all yeast action has stopped and you can see a big build-up of yeast at the bottom. I figured it just needed some more time. I took a tiny taste to see what was up and spit it out. It has the consistency of slime. It doesn't smell off, but literally has the texture of thick, slimy cough syrup or something like that. Has it gone bad? Is there any fix? Do I pitch it? I've never made acerglyn before, but have had many successful other types of mead.

Sounds like you’ve got pediococcus my good sir! Pedio is a lactic acid producing bacteria that often produces long chain diglycerides or something like that that makes your drink slimy and goopy. I know that in sour beers it’s somewhat common, and then it goes away and you’re left with a fine beer as long as that’s all that’s wrong with it.

Now I’m not totally sure the ‘cure’ doesn’t rely on brett or something also found in sour beers. But I say give it ample time and let it be. It may cure itself and become delicious.

Thanks!!

So would that make the final product bitter? Also, sorry, I've never made beers before....what is brett?

Thanks!!

So would that make the final product bitter? Also, sorry, I've never made beers before....what is brett?
It may make it more sour, but not likely to make it much more sour. Could end up very nice with a slightly lower PH.

Brett is short for brettanomyces, a wild yeast that is often used in long aged sour beers. It can produce funky flavors and attenuates very slowly

Latest posts

Back