Accidently Boiled Mash Instead of Soaking At 150 Degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlassblowersBrew

Reaction score
Hello Home Brewers, My first Post!!!!

Well, I made a serious kook move tonight. I started my third batch of brew off completely wrong tonight and didn't realize it until the end of my mash process. I boiled the mash for 30 minutes instead of soaking it in 150 degree water. After I realized I figured, I gotta keep going, so now it is in the fermenter and I am curious what is gonna happen when I try my first beer.

What will my noob move do the the final product. Will it effect the fermentation, flavor, head .....etc.

I also added 1.5 pounds of brown sugar to the wort, make it a bit stronger. Anybody tried brown sugar. What will it taste like, I just figured it was worth a try since I already botched the mash.

Oh yeah, I made a Anchor Steam Clone. Thanks for your help, its great to be here.

I'm assuming that you are doing an extract brew with steeping grain.

You should be fine. It will still be beer. If it was only around a pound, you shouldn't have too many harsh tanins in there. With the brown sugar, it won't be a clone of Anchor Steam anymore, but it will be a darker, stronger beer.

Yeah it was an extract brew with steeping grains. It was a bag of grains that was in a quart size bag. If I were to guess, it would be a pound of grain.

Man it sucks to be a kook.

BTW the brew looked so freakin dark, I'm kinda scared and kinda stoked. Plus, I tried to estimate the IBU for the beer recipe I used. The bittering hops 2 oz of great northern brewer @9% alpha for 60 min. The aroma hops were cascade 1 oz @ 5.8% for last 2 min. Based on my math it should have an aprox IBU of 78. Is this right. Seems way high, like stand a fork up in it strong.....?

Did you use all of the hops? Just because the kit had 2 oz of Northern Brewer, were you supposed to use all of it? Is there any recipe?

Sometimes when you buy a kit, it will have a 2 oz package of hops, but you will only need a half to one ounce. Can you post the actual recipe?

Your IBU is also affected by the size of the boil and how much extract you added. If you post the recipe and the procedure you followed we could calculate the approximate bitterness for you.

And as Brewsmith said, you probably won't even notice the tannins from 1lbs of grains - especially with all that hops. :mug:

OK, a couple things.

You will end up with beeer.

You might as well stop refering to it as clone anything.

The brown sugar isn't going to hurt it.

Getting your grains too hot for too long is going to extract some bitter flavors - tannic acids or just "tannins".

Your beer is probably not ruined.

Re: hop utilization, "U", hop utilization is partly a function of the specific gravity of the wort. If you added all the extract with the 2 ozs of NB at 60 minutes remaining in your 1.5gal boil, it isn't going to be all that. Hoppy yes, salad no.

Enjoy, I predict you will know exactly what the experts are talkiong about when they say 'astringent', but it will be drinkable.

Relax, don't worry...

I've never done that to grain, so I can't offer any 'sage advice'. But if you do notice any weird off taste that just isn't right at all, it probably is the tannins. it was only 1lb of grain, but it was 30 minutes. depending on the pH, you might have extracted every bit of tannin in there.

but only time is gonna tell. be sure to report back, since this kind of information can be useful to others.

Thanks for all of your feedback. I will definitely update this post when I crack my first bottle.

As for the instructions :

Extract Brewing Instructions

1. Steep grains in 2 gal of 150 degree water for 30 min in grain bag.
2. Remove grain and add extract slowly, stir till completely dissolved (this is where I also added a pound and a half of brown sugar).
3. Turn on heat and bring to a boil.
4. Add the Bittering Hops (2 oz of Great Northern Brewer). This starts your 60 min boil.
5. While the wort is boiling, sanitize your primary fermenter and other equipment, and then fill our primary with 3 gal of chilled sterile water. Shake chilled water vigorously in 1 gal jug before splashing into fermenter. This provides essential oxygen for yeast health and a fast start of fermentation.
6. Add finishing hops into boil at 2 min left (cascade hops).
7. After 60 min cool quickly to approx 120 degrees. Cover pot to prevent contamination. When pot is cool enough to place hands on sides dry outside of pot and add boiled wort to the fermenter.
8. Add yeast and mix by gently shaking.
9. Put airlock in top of primary and look for activity in 6-12 hours.

etc.......

Hope this info clairifys what i did. Thanks for your help.

Here is my review of my "Oh ****!" beer a month and a half later. Surprisingly good. I thought it would be really bitter. Mellowed out quite nicely. And the head is kinda like a guiness. Not that thick, but really creamy and dense. Laces the glass nicely. Not a really bubbly beer. The flavor of the brown sugar really came though. I think I would use a little less brown sugar. Its a strong flavor. Otherwise a great beer. Doesn't taste a bit like Anchor Steam, which is fine with me. I'm looking forward to the rest of them.

Goes to show, it doesn't matter how much you think you mess up, as long as the end product turns out alright, your good to go.

I actually did the same thing with my first brew, ended up boiling the steeping grains because I didn't know any better. I almost want to re-create that brew because the astringency of the little tannins I extracted kinda worked well for my recipie...

I've made a couple of Brewer's Best kits and it's standard to use 2 oz of hops durring the 60 min. boil as long as you are adding 6lbs of UME. As for the brown sugar, it will not effect the taste because all of the sugars will ferment out (make sure you reach your FG) but the final color will be a bit darker. If the beer has too much of a bite, just let it bottle condition for a month or so. Remember there are no really bad beers, just some are much better than others. Good Luck and keep brew'n.

I don't think anyone's asked yet - is it fermenting?

Sounds like you're gonna have beer, but maybe not the Anchor Steam clone you were shooting for. But I think you might have known that when you tossed in two lbs of brown sugar?

Oh yeah, it fermented quite nicely. It is already in bottles and tastes quite nice. It is nothing like the Anchor Steam but that didn't disappoint me. Ive never quit had a beer with this flavor. I don't know if I agree that the brown sugar will not effect the flavor. It is a mellow, molasses like, caramelized flavor that you can taste especially when you exhale after a drink. When you exhale through your nose you can almost smell it. Maybe its just me. Maybe there are still fermentables in there that didn't get gobbled up.

Back