Accidently boiled grains..for about 10 minutes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnshurtm

Reaction score
What will this do to my partial grain/extract beer? It was the Austin Home Brew Wheat beer kit. Should I just throw it out?

Go to a local place and get new grains?

Thanks,

Marc

Do I leave the orange peel and coriander in while fermenting? There is no direction on taking it out once the wort is cooled.

Thank you...I am in middle of my batch right now.

Boiling grains will add tannins. But .. the late Dave Line actually recommended boiling the grains in extract batches in his book, brewing beers like those you buy (1975).

Don't worry about it.

Once boiled, you have all the goodness out of coriander and orange peel. It doesn't matter if you leave them in or not.

Thanks guys. It is in the fermentor now. We will see. Now I am worried because the recipe says that the starting gravity should be approx. 1.048. Mine came back at 1.078. I took it in the tube that the hydrometer came in, but I sunk it and took it about 8 times. What does this difference mean? Should I be concerned?.....as I keep running into questions, I wonder if this shouldn't be under a different forum.

Thanks again,

Marc

Thanks guys. It is in the fermentor now. We will see. Now I am worried because the recipe says that the starting gravity should be approx. 1.048. Mine came back at 1.078. I took it in the tube that the hydrometer came in, but I sunk it and took it about 8 times. What does this difference mean? Should I be concerned?.....as I keep running into questions, I wonder if this shouldn't be under a different forum.

Thanks again,

Marc

Do you have five gallons of wort in your fermenter?

If you used the kit, and you had 5 Gallons at the end, your hydrometer reading was wrong. The kits, especially extract base kits, come out almost exactly like they're supposed to. If the hydrometer was touching the bottom of the tube you didn't have enough liquid in the tube to take a proper reading. There are a few threads on how to take a proper hydrometer reading, do a quick search and you'll find them. I wouldn't worry about the gravity reading if you had 5 Gallons when you were finished.

I am sure the hydrometer wasn't touching the bottom. I actually pushed it down several times to make sure the reading was accurate. I did have 5 gallons at the end, but now that I think of it, I got the sample with an auto siphon and did not stir the wort after pouring the wort in first and then adding about 2 1/2 gallons of water. Would not stirring it cause me to get a concentrated sample? Should I always stir after adding it to the primary fermenter?

Thanks again.

tnshurtm said:
I am sure the hydrometer wasn't touching the bottom. I actually pushed it down several times to make sure the reading was accurate. I did have 5 gallons at the end, but now that I think of it, I got the sample with an auto siphon and did not stir the wort after pouring the wort in first and then adding about 2 1/2 gallons of water. Would not stirring it cause me to get a concentrated sample? Should I always stir after adding it to the primary fermenter?

Thanks again.

Yes, if you want an accurate reading that is essential.

Back