Accidentally set fermenter away to high a temp. Did I kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mars

Reaction score
Hi. I tried my bucked buddy fermenter for the first time last night. I had...been drinking beers. Somehow I didn't notice that it was in Celsius. My wort was at 116 F overnight.

Do I just let it cool to correct temp, order more yeast (I don't have more of that strain), add a different strain, or dump it?

I'm a moron. Thanks guys

Hi. I tried my bucked buddy fermenter for the first time last night. I had...been drinking beers. Somehow I didn't notice that it was in Celsius. My wort was at 116 F overnight.

Do I just let it cool to correct temp, order more yeast (I don't have more of that strain), add a different strain, or dump it?

I'm a moron. Thanks guys

Well, might as well see what happenes. 116F won't kill yeast- but it will create off flavors for sure and get get explosively active. When did you pitch the yeast?

What yeast did you use?

I agree that there is no use in dumping it just yet. As long as you see signs of activity, there is also no use in pitching more yeast. Be sure to report back with how it turns out.
Wyeast London ale 3

I'm a bit worried because it was warm today, and with the power on it only cooled to the high 80's. I turned off the power. I'll turn it back on tomorrow once it's reached room temp.

I haven't opened it up, so I have no idea of there is activity. There hasn't been anything noticeable from the airlock.

Wyeast London ale 3

I'm a bit worried because it was warm today, and with the power on it only cooled to the high 80's. I turned off the power. I'll turn it back on tomorrow once it's reached room temp.

I haven't opened it up, so I have no idea of there is activity. There hasn't been anything noticeable from the airlock.
Yeah. I opened it up for a second. There's no foam or signs of anything going on. Idk

Well ... If you already opened it, why not pitch in some more yeast? I had a batch that I messed up when adding yeast by accidentally only pitching about 20% of the total. I added another yeast packet to the fermenter the next day and it worked.

Well ... If you already opened it, why not pitch in some more yeast? I had a batch that I messed up when adding yeast by accidentally only pitching about 20% of the total. I added another yeast packet to the fermenter the next day and it worked.
Yeah I totally did that. But then the plug tro the airlock fell through, and after washing my hands, I had to dig it out. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this turns out drinkable at all tbh. Just going to leave it TF alone for a couple weeks.

It's all a learning experience I guess. I started brewing a few weeks ago with full grains, and it's been a super bumpy and frustrating ride, but I know I'll really enjoy it once I get the hang of it.

I did something similar, forgot to turn the water on for my wort chiller and pitched at 150-160F ish. Took a while to figure it out. I cooled it down. Took a few hours. Fermentation took off like a rocket. Beer turned out fine. Omega Tropical IPA yeast. Thought for sure it was toast. Hope yours works out too!

Might as well get it to the correct temperature and see how it turns out, then decide from there.

I am a bit interested why it was 116F, though. That'd be 46C, which if you accidentally read as 46F would be almost 20 degrees lower than the low-end range of London Ale III (which is 64-74F or 18-23C), so you'd have the opposite problem of the yeast going dormant.

That's a very high temperature for that yeast.
If the existing yeast is dead then you simply pitch new yeast. If it has started to ferment, the new yeast probably won't be strong enough to overcome it and you'll have a beer that's only good to pour down the toilet.
Maybe you should boil it again for about 15 minutes to kill the existing yeast and when it cools down, add new yeast.

Sorry for the delayed response. Forgot to get back to yeh all.

The fermenter is a bucket buddy and was sealed pretty tight until I re-pitched it. Still might be garbage, but we shall see.

I used Ringwood ale yeast, and it smells pretty good. It's one of the batches I've been working on with birch bark and saspirilla.

But tbh, I started a new batch this weekend. I'm aiming something like a lighter ale with a ginger ale like twist:

I think it's going to turn out pretty tasty. Here is the brewfather printout: don't mind the temp. Will be a little warmer than that. I just didn't bother with it.

Amber Ginger Ale
5.6% / 14.1 °P
Recipe by
Mars

All Grain

72% efficiency

Batch Volume: 3 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Mash Water: 3.08 gal

Sparge Water: 1.64 gal
Total Water: 4.72 gal
Boil Volume: 4.19 gal

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.043

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.057

Final Gravity: 1.014

IBU (Tinseth): 12

BU/GU: 0.21

Color: 15 SRM

Mash
Temperature — 149 °F — 60 min

Malts (6 lb)
2 lb (30.5%) — Cargill (Gambrinus) Honey Malt — Grain — 20 °L — Mash
2 lb (30.5%) — Weyermann Wayermann German Munich Malt — Grain — 10 °L — Mash
1 lb (15.3%) — Barley, Flaked — Grain — 1.8 °L — Mash
1 lb (15.3%) — Briess Victory Malt — Grain — 25 °L — Mash
Other (8.9 oz)
6.3 oz (6%) — Ginger Syrup — Liquid Extract — 13.8 °L — Boil — 10 min
2.1 oz (2%) — Ginger Root — Adjunct — 13 °L — Mash
0.6 oz (0.5%) — Birch Bark — Adjunct — 15 °L — Mash
Hops (2 oz)
2 oz (12 IBU) — Fuggle 4.7% — Mash

Yeast
1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1318 London Ale III 75%
Fermentati
on
Primary — 68 °F — 14 days

Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol

Last edited:
Tbh it's been pretty hot in my apartment the last few days anyway. So kinda? It's been as high as 75 or so. Gunna keg it on Sat, or dump it depending on how it turns out.
I wouldn't dump it unless it's really foul when your ready to keg.
Time in the keg may correct some issues and render the mess very drinkable.
What do you have to lose besides cleaning a keg?

It's been as high as 75 or so.
1720138504381.png

@PCABrewing has good advice. Package it.

I wouldn't dump it unless it's really foul when your ready to keg.
Time in the keg may correct some issues and render the mess very drinkable.
What do you have to lose besides cleaning a keg?
With the elevated temps, that pushes it into the bacteria happy place. Frankly, I wouldn't put that into a keg, it could have downstream effects. Especially with a newer brewer, he could be off on a wild goose chase thinking all kinds of things are off in his brewery because his serving keg is jacked up.

If I kegged that, I'd strip that keg and hit it with a heavy dosage of iodine and give it a proper nuking.

With the elevated temps, that pushes it into the bacteria happy place. Frankly, I wouldn't put that into a keg, it could have downstream effects. Especially with a newer brewer, he could be off on a wild goose chase thinking all kinds of things are off in his brewery because his serving keg is jacked up.

If I kegged that, I'd strip that keg and hit it with a heavy dosage of iodine and give it a proper nuking

And after adding the carbonation drops, I put them in the fridge for a half hour or so then realized my mistake and put them in a dark spot in my room

Back