Accidentally ordered California v ale yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Heard some bad things. Is there anyway to make this work in a ipa.

22 lbs two row
4 lbs rye malt
3 lbs flaked rye
1 lb cara foam
4 oz black patent
2 lbs crystal 120

13 gallons. I don't want cloying sweetness or high viscosity. Not sure yeast can do the trick even if I lower mash temps.

I have 15 lbs of various hops so ibu s are okay no matter the gravity. I will adjust after gravity sample. I do have time to order more ingredients . Thanks.

It should be fine with lower mash temp and good starter. Fermenting at a lower temp should help restrain the esters. Just ramp up the temp toward the end of fermentation.

You should be fine. California V is the same basic strain as 1272 (Anchor Liberty) according to Mrmalty. I use it for most of my IPA and Pale recipes. I prefer it to 1056 because it tends to make for a very clear beer when treated right. Make a good starter for all gravity levels, I pitch right at 67-68 and try to hold that temp until the krausen is gone. I find that a secondary at room temp is the best way to get the final bit of yeast to drop and then the beer is nice and clear.

PS: I know how unpopular the secondary is on Homebrewtalk.

Back