Accidentally aereated an entire batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceramiclover

Reaction score
A thoughtless mistake in the siphoning process made the siphon hose work more like a fish tank aerator. there was a gap of air that the beer bbbled through the whole racking process.
the batch was a mexican "cerveza" from extract. i am not going to lie. I am a noob at this and just want to know how badly i screwed this up. i started primary fermentation about eight days ago and racked it into a carboy two days ago. I am wondering whether i should bottle soon, give up on the batch, or say some charms.

Just bottle it when it's ready, give it enough time to condition, then drink it before it becomes too stale. Oxidized beer eventually develops a cardboard-like flavor - still drinkable though.

In the future, use a smaller siphon hose. It may be a pain to get onto the auto-siphon or racking cane, but it won't allow any airbubbles to contact the beer, either.

I've had an air bubble in the siphon tube and not had issues, this was a small bubble though. I use silicone tubing now and a 1/2" autosiphon so it seals really well, and if there is an air bubble you can just pinch the tubing right above it (at the cane) and that will drive it down through the tubing and bubble up out.

I had the bubbling problem too. Tried the smaller hose and found it to be too much of a pain to get on and off. The solution I found that works perfectly is to secure the hose after sliding it over the end of the auto-siphon cane. I currently use a small hose clamp, but have successful used twist ties (like you get on some bread wrappers) and tie wraps. This allows me to easily fit the hose on the siphon cane, but seal the connection to prevent excess bubbling.

The other thing that seems to work well (I had this same thing happen to me, and now that beer has a bad off-taste, though I'm not quite sure of the source...) is to make sure and draw as full a stroke as possible with the autosiphon. *****footing around with it makes for a weak start, and that's where the bubbles in the tube seem to start.

I typically get a few bubbles at the start when I prime the siphon, and then at the end when the carboy is near empty. Any tips on how to avoid that or just don't worry about it?

A constant bubbling is really what you need to worry about. A few stray bubbles here and there will have a negligible effect, if any. rdwhahb

thank you for your responses. it bubbled like crazy, but i at least have some hope now. i will bottle it and give it a try.

Back