Accidental Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j33p4x4

Reaction score
Chalk this up as another 'learning experience.' Last night as I cooling my batch and getting ready to pitch the yeast I was setting up the keezer getting it ready for fermentation. The temperature is set, thermal probe moved over ready to attach to ale pail... and that's when I thought to myself, "don't forget to put that temp prob on the bucket..."

Well, yeast was pitched, bucket set in the freezer everything ready to go. Five hours later I go to check on the progress and I see that the freezer is running. Hmm, must have caught it on one of it's cooling cycles. What temp is it? Still over 80?!

And of course, I see the probe still sitting next to the freezer waiting to be attached to the bucket. Nothing like pitching at a cool 75 and then going to an even cooler 53. Luckily the Florida weather will help me warm the batch back up fairly steadily. I've gently twisted and moved the bucket a few times to help wake those little guys up. Once it gets closer to 68 I'll put everything back into the keezer.

Can I blame this on late night brewing and not the number of brews that I had last night! :mug:

Back