Accidental cold crash and carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have, or had, a Porter fermenting in my FC out in my garden shed, but something appearantly is wrong with the circuit breaker in our little villa communitys shared garage row(the power distribution to the garden sheds and stuff like that is also shared), and it has cut the power out to the sheds, leading to my FC not working.
I moved the fermenting bucket inside, taped a thermometer probe to it and put it away in our pantry inside the house instead.
The temp in the beer had dropped about 10c, sort of a soft cold crash and is now slowly warming back up to ambient temp, wich is about 19c.
The good news are the beer was fermented, just clearing and cleaning up and I was gonna bottle come friday or saturday anyways, will the beer cooling down and the being warmed up lead to a loss in dissolved co2 and prompt a calculation on a little higher co2 level than I actually want, or should I just calculate on the level I want and the temp the beer has when I bottle?

The good news are the beer was fermented, just clearing and cleaning up and I was gonna bottle come friday or saturday anyways, will the beer cooling down and the being warmed up lead to a loss in dissolved co2 and prompt a calculation on a little higher co2 level than I actually want, or should I just calculate on the level I want and the temp the beer has when I bottle?

It sounds like the beer will be sitting warm for a few days. Assuming it can off gas to the atmosphere (through an airlock), I would use the warmer temperature when calculating priming sugar.

It sounds like the beer will be sitting warm for a few days. Assuming it can off gas to the atmosphere (through an airlock), I would use the warmer temperature when calculating priming sugar.
I get that, but I was wondering wether I should account for any extra loss due to the beer getting cooled down and then warmed up again to pretty much the same temp it had in the FC? As if the naturally occuring co2 in the beer will be lower now than if it had been around 20c constantly?

I get that, but I was wondering wether I should account for any extra loss due to the beer getting cooled down and then warmed up again to pretty much the same temp it had in the FC? As if the naturally occuring co2 in the beer will be lower now than if it had been around 20c constantly?

No. There's nothing about getting cold and then warming up again (to the same temp) that would cause a net loss of CO2.

Back