Accidental Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5B-brewing

Reaction score
So back in January I brewed what was supposed to be a Strong Ale. The recipe was based on the Northern Brewer Old Luddite kit. It was only my second all-grain. O.G. was supposed to be around 1.066 and finish at 1.015 for 6.7% ABV.

Pre-boil I had approximately 5.5-6 gallons of water in the kettle after sparging. Hadn't dialed in my evaporation/boil rates yet and ended up with slightly less than 3 gallons post boil and an O.G. of 1.090 (!). Instead of diluting it down in the fermenter I left it as it was.

Here's the problem: I let this beer age in the closet for ten months and finally tapped it last night. It was the best frickin' beer I've brewed yet! (And maybe one of the better barley wines I've tasted.) Ended up finishing at 1.013 for a ABV of 10.2%. Balanced towards the hops side, but with plenty of sweet malt backbone. HOW DO I RECREATE THIS? Please help!

Here's the recipe I used:
9 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM)
2.50 oz Fuggles [6.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Fuggles [6.70 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

What's the question? Do exactly what you did last time.
Now, if you want to get 5 gal instead of 3, just scale up the recipe (ie. multiply everything by 5/3). Your lautering efficiency may be less with more grain in your mash tun, but it will likely be close enough. Hops amounts might also need to change based on your boil gravity.
Beer Smith can do the scaling for you if needed.

I don't understand the problem either.
It seems like you kept good records, so just do it again.

I would like to create a full five gallon batch at the same O.G. My boil-off rate was a fluke so do I just keep boiling until I hit that 1.090? Do I need a refractometer to do this accurately? (Always looking for an excuse for more gear.)

Since you have the recipe, boil volume and good notes, you could scale it up.
If you have beersmith, it will even do it for you.

Latest posts

Back