AC Glycol Chiller Cooler sizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
Is there any sizing considerations for the cooler in an AC DIY Glycol build? Any reason why a larger cooler would work better than a smaller other than stabilization of the glycol temp due to thermal mass when you're trying to cold crash multiple FVs, or control multiple larger FVs?

Just sizing out my cooler for 2x 7 gallon FVs with a 5000btu ac. Trying to get it into the smallest footprint possible so seeing some of these builds with 10 gallon coolers seems to be excessive, when you could probably fit the evap coil in a much smaller cooler and use 3ish gallons of Glycol/Water mix

I use 50qt or 12+ gallon cooler . I use 3 gallons of gylcol and 7 gallons of distilled water . It drops the temp super fast and maintains really well . I couldn't tell you if a small reservoir would be beneficial to cooling 2 fermenters .

Back