Abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrux

Reaction score
When adding cane (table) sugar to boost ABV, do you add it to the boil or do you wait till fermentation is finishing up before adding ( no more than 15%) total sugars. If using 6.6 lbs lme and 3 lb dme and 1 to 1.5 lb cane for example.

Thanks

I usually add it in the fermenter around day 3 or 4. For bigger beers it can make a difference in yeast health.

I usually add it in the fermenter around day 3 or 4. For bigger beers it can make a difference in yeast health.

Does the yeast go for the sucrose instead of the malt when it is added early?

As long as my OG is going to be 1.100 or lower I add to my boil. Over that I feed to the fermentation. The reason is I want to avoid the osmotic pressure that really high sugar levels will have on the yeast. If the sugar level is really high, instead of having nutrients from the wort go into the yeast, the nutrients in the yeast are sucked out and into the wort. I'm not sure the exact line but I think I read somewhere that it is around 1.130.

Since you are not dealing with an OG anywhere near that high just add to the boil. If doing a partial boil I would add in the last 10 minutes to avoid caramelization... unless that is what you want of course.

Don't worry about the yeast eating only the sucrose, that is not a problem in your wort- the yeast growing in that wort are being exposed to exactly the mix of sugars you want them to eat. It'll be fine. If you have any problems that isn't the cause.

That was my concern. I thought I read somewhere that yeast need to make special enzymes to ferment malt and when sucrose is present that enzyme is not made.

The yeast progress through sugar metabolism from easiest to hardest...I like to present them with the entire picture at the beginning. If you re-introduce simple sugars part way through fermentation they will shift gears into a different pathway....give it to them all up front and let them sort it out.

As theonetrueruss said. It is all about the osmotic pressure. It can get high enough that all the water in your poor yeast cells with get sucked out and they will shrivel up and die just like if you put them in salt water (literally, it is exactly the same process).

It looks like your brew will be about 1.085OG with what you've told us. Should be fine to put everything in the brew kettle all at once.

Back