Abv?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStooge

Reaction score
Hey all, well finally got the first batch completed and thought to get some insight here. The recipe is Midwest Brewing's Bavarian Wheat, let it set for 1x2x3 weeks had an OG of somewhere around 1.042 and ended at around 1.009 (my readings may be off a shade since the hydrometer keeps wanting to stick to the side of a narrow flask) so I figgure about 4% ABV if I'm reading it right.

Only thing is that as a bud of my pointed out the :drunk: is not exactly bearing it out. Only odd thing that came to my mind was could the alcohol separate out to some extent from the rest in the ferrmenters, even if it did I'd think the siphoning would mix it all back up when getting ready to bottle.

Otherwise came out plenty tasty :mug:

ABV is calculated by (OG-FG)*1.31

1.042-1.009=.033
.033*1.31=4.32%

It looks like you've got it right; I get a ABV of 4.3% using your numbers.
Find a level spot for your hydrometer tube and give the hydrometer a spin to stop it from sticking to the side for more accurate readings. Spinning also helps get the CO2 out of the tube so it doesn't throw you reading off.

Welcome to HBT!

Alcohol can't "separate out" of an aqueous solution.
Though you can layer alcohol if you pour, say, vodka into water carefully. Once they are mixed, they stay mixed barring a phase change.

However if you measured your starting gravity out then that can be an error in mixing an extract for instance - it also can't separate but sometimes if you don't mix it will when you start then you get the heavier syrup sitting at the bottom.

Though you can layer alcohol if you pour, say, vodka into water carefully. Once they are mixed, they stay mixed barring a phase change.

However if you measured your starting gravity out then that can be an error in mixing an extract for instance - it also can't separate but sometimes if you don't mix it will when you start then you get the heavier syrup sitting at the bottom.

I thought that was a long shot, my chemistry/physics are a bit rusty, was thinking density differences as a culprit. Who would have thought I'd ever be contemplating physics in relation to beer? :)

If this could happen, I am sure that the folks over at the Jack Daniel's distillery would be jumping for joy!

We played with the Ethanol/water azeotrope in engineering school. :rockin: Gotta love it when the University gives you a 3 story distillation tower and let's you run experiments with it! That is probably the closest I will ever get to doing any more distillation in my lifetime...

So, he was complaining that he wasn't drunk enough? Tell him he needs to drink more, if that's what he's looking for!

:tank: Plus it'll help empty bottles for the current batch :p

Chalk it up to first real batch (not counting a my first Mr. Beer batch) nerves. Wouldn't want to end up with an inadvertent Odoul's

If this could happen, I am sure that the folks over at the Jack Daniel's distillery would be jumping for joy!

We played with the Ethanol/water azeotrope in engineering school. :rockin: Gotta love it when the University gives you a 3 story distillation tower and let's you run experiments with it! That is probably the closest I will ever get to doing any more distillation in my lifetime...

That's one heck of a tower! About the only distillation I've worked with was the strictly table top size.

Back