ABV increase due to priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Spinning Horse

Reaction score
I've often wondered how much the ABV increases due to the addition of priming sugar.

I'm sure there's a relative simple way of calculating this.

I'll usually add 150 grams of table sugar for 19 litres of bottled beer.

Can someone intelligent walk through the math for this.

i really don't know the math because i'm not that bright...but here you go...

1659012175354.png

Use points.
If you have 5 gallons of 1.050 that goes to 1.010, you have 5.25% ABV
If you have same 5 gallons of 1.050, with 250 "gravity points" (5 * 50), and you add ~1/3 pound of sugar which adds 46 points per pound, you have 265 gravity points in 5 gallons, would give OG of 265/5 = 1.053, and if ferments to 1.010, would be 5.64% ABV
THis is complicated by the fact that you typically add priming sugar in a cup or two of water (1/16 to 1/8 gallon) additional volume so you really have 265/(5.1) = 1.0519 OG for 5.5% ABV.

Last edited:
hell if you want to try to get this moved to brew science though! ;)

well a mol of sucrose is 342 grams....for every mol of sucrose that gets fermented i 'think' you get two mols of both co2 and ethanol, both having a similar mol weight of around 45 grams a mol...

the math you need to do should be clear?

something like (150/342)x90=39 then 39/19000 would give you around 0.002 (so ~0.2% by weight)

difrent then what the calc says, but like i said i'm not that bright...

edit: i think i realized my mistake, i didn't figure for the co2 also....there we go (150/342)x180=~74 then 74/19000 gives the appropriate 0.004 so 0.4% by weight...

My old BeerSmith 2 doesn't increase the ABV with the priming sugar addition.
I tried it in BeerSmith 3 on a recipe. I added 5.3oz (150 grams) of table sugar (sucrose) using Add Fermentable to a recipe in my files and it moved the Est ABV from 6.1% to 6.5%. It also worked for corn sugar. I removed Beersmith 2 so I can't test it there. Are you perhaps entering it differently than I did or is there another ABV field you might be looking at?

Cool. Just note Beersmith is estimating the ABV I'm guessing using some fixed value for attenuation. I'm not sure how the program treats simpler sugars like corn and table sugar vs dme for instance but I would guess they are considered more fermentable in the calculations. But I don't know if the calculations apply the attenuation factor to the sum of the original gravity or by parts. Probably could be figured out with a little simulation.

Cool. Just note Beersmith is estimating the ABV I'm guessing using some fixed value for attenuation. I'm not sure how the program treats simpler sugars like corn and table sugar vs dme for instance but I would guess they are considered more fermentable in the calculations. But I don't know if the calculations apply the attenuation factor to the sum of the original gravity or by parts. Probably could be figured out with a little simulation.
Beersmith does appear to treat the table sugar as fully fermentable and I tried a couple of different base malts and looks like a 75% attenuation is used. If your attenuation is different than that, you can think about what @balrog posted and then pop it into a calculator like @bracconiere suggested, Beersmith has one under Tools.

Back