abv boosting options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
I saw that austin homebrew supply has this option with all their kits that boosts abv by 1%. Any luck with this or other options? My next batch I wanna boost a NB 1554 clone

How do.I know how much to add without overdoing it? Or changing the flavor profile too much?

Anything you add will change the gravity and change the flavor. High fermentable sugars will make the beer taste a little dryer, maybe you can try a combination of dextrose and DME or something like that.

Any change in the recipe is going to change the flavor profile to some degree. Using a maltose-based source (DME or LME) is going to up the body slightly since yeast won't ferment 100% of it. Using simpler sugar (corn sugar, turbinado, candy sugar, honey, anything like that) is going to ferment out entirely, and can actually give the beer a lighter, drier flavor. It'll also have an effect on perception of the hop character. It ultimately depends on what you're going for.

Ultimately, the best route if you want a higher ABV brew is to go with a recipe designed with a higher ABV in mind.

Well I'm focusing on high gravity mainly because they are hard tsupposo get a hold on here in tn. But I love 1554 but want my clone to have a punch. Have any iof you ever tried brewbrothers.biz recipes? They have a double IPA that's supposed to finish out at a whopping 9.3%! And an imperial porter that finishes at around 8 something. Wonder if they are any good

Back