About to start my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delgado

Reaction score
I have a 20L fermentor tub, so I'm just looking for what amounts of supplies I am going to need to do a 20L batch, thank you!

Thank you for your response Brewboy, but what I need to know is exactly what amounts of supplies I need (for example, how much sugar, how much malt, etc) to put up a 20L batch. Thank you.

gcdowd said:
I would recommend buying a kit for your first attempt.

+1 start with kits and get your boil and hop addition process down. It'll be a little hectic the first brews. You shouldn't have to worry about extra complexity. Plus kits come out good. Don't want you getting frustrated after your first time.

Oh, you just want the recipe for beer!:D

Do you know what style you are looking for? Is there a type of beer that you want to replicate?

I would also recommend a kit as your first attempt. LIke other have said, kits turn out pretty darn good. Just make sure to keep an eye on your fermentation temps for your first brew and all of your future brews. Just get one of those crystal stick on thermometers for your fermenter. The only time I've had a kit not taste great is when I let my fermentation temps get too warm. Also, welcome to the forum.

And remember to account for headspace in the fermenter too - in order to make a 20L batch, you'll need more than 20L of space in the fermenter. Cheers!

Give thought to trying either a Brew House or Festa Brew kit. They are easy and tasty.

B

A 5G kit equals 19L,so you don't have a lot of head space. I use ale pales that can hold 7-7.5G in order for 5-6G (19L to 23L) batches to have plenty of room for krausen,co2,& the like. So def go with a blow off.

Another vote for buying a kit to start out. It's a great way to learn the process and an easy way to ensure a rewarding first batch.
Even though most of my beers are recipes I created, I still brew kits often. Two of the beers I have bottled are kits; Midwest Supply's Amarillo Pale Ale (I added an oz of amarillos for dry hopping), and NB's Scottish 70/- (brewed as is). I can't get enough of the Amarillo Ale and my wife loves the 70/-. Kits make great beer and can help you learn the process of designing your own beers in the future.

I agree,a simple but good quality kit will allow you to concentrate on learning a good process as a newbie. Then,when you get your own personal process,or "style" down pretty good,you can start adding things. Gotta learn to walk before you learn to run like a scared deer.

While kits are easy and convenient, it is just as easy to put together your own. It doesn't take a lot of hard work or skill to go to the LHBS and pick up the bags of dme or weigh out the LME. Pick out the hops and yeast. Weigh and mill the specialty grains if the recipe calls for, and pick up the other little tidbits.
I would argue that a lot of the recipes on this forum are far and away more helpful for a new brewer than the instructions that you get in a kit. We are really talking about the ability to create a shopping list from a recipe, and excecute that shopping list.
Sure there is a possibility that the LHBS doesn't have the items in stock, but they may have someone to help sub, or you could call the store ahead.

I don't want to rag on kits, but really the best batches I have made have come from the recipes here. The other concern is a kit that might be collecting dust at the LHBS at 80 degrees on a shelf. Point is, fresher ingredients that have been properly stored can be had cheaper with a bit more work.
I say figure out the kind of beer you like, find a solid recipe here that a lot of folks have tried and get to brewing. It not like you don't have 76,000 friends here to help if you get stuck! :D

Back