About to do first AG but have one question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i am doing a 5 gallon batch of Centinneal Blonde and it says the boil size is 6.6 gallons i think. Can somebody tell me what i do water wise...like how much i add and then what happens to the other 1.6 gallons after i boil??? I am a bit confused :). Please help

You should collect 6.6 gallons pre-boil and then over the course of the 60minute boit, you will boil down to 5 gallons.

i guess it evaporates or somethin

I think It's the Somethin...:D

and dont i loose water during the mash due to grain absorbtion?

Your grain will absorb roughly 1/10 of a gallon per pound of grain. So if you have a 10# grain bill, and you mash with 2.5 gallons of water, you can drain 1.5 gallons off then you'll need to add your sparge water before you get any more.

Post your grain bill and we can give you a better idea of how much water you will need. Most folks use 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 quart of water per pound of grain for the mash and 1/2 gallon of water per pound of grain for sparging.

Back