About to bottle my cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepaholic

Reaction score
I'm still working on my cider I posted about here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/questions-about-my-first-batch-cider-306402/

It has 2 gallons of apple juice, 2 pounds of honey and a frozen apple juice concentrate. It has been in secondary for a couple of months and I'm about to move so I'm thinking of bottling now. I have 2 questions.

1-Do you think the yeast will still be able to carbonate or should I repitch some?

2-I was thinking of using another can of apple juice concentrate as the source of sugar for priming and adding a little more flavor. would this work? would it be too much or too little sugar?

I feel like I have been asking a ton of questions lately on here and I have learned a ton. Thank you for all the help so far.

Marcus

The yeast will still be able to carb. I'm not sure of how much sugar exactly is in the concentrate, so I can't comment on that. You could just add it, bottle and test (or fill a plastic bottle and monitor the firmness). Whe it gets to the right carb level pasteurize. There is a thread in the last couple of days about testing carbonation. Can't remember the title right now.

That thread is called "bottling
After 2 days of fermentation". I don't know how to paste links on the iPhone app.

Like smh said, hard to tell you exactly how much sugar you need. There several factors that go into the carbonation level. One can of concentrate seems to carb up my 5 gallon batches quite nicely. I would check to see the sugar content of the concentrate and then calculate how much you need for the carbonation level you are desiring. Use the can accordingly.

Carbonation Calculator:
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

Back