? about my transfer to secondary 1st ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneTree

Reaction score
I did my transfer to secondary and the siphoning was going well when I lost my siphhon with about a 1/2 gallon left in primary with spent yeast on bottom.I now have 4 1/2 gallon of Porter in secondary @1.020 SG , sampled some of the beer in the SG tube and it tasted really good.I tried some of the yeast and it had the twang to it.I will be ready to bottle in a week or so. Does everything seem OK so far??? Why couldI not get full siphon?

I always stick something under one end of my fermentor to sort of prop it up. That way all the trub sort of settles on one side, and you can get a bit more beer that way.

Without looking at your recipe, we won't know exactly what your specific gravity should be right now, but seems to be pretty close. BJCP style guidelines say that a Brown Porter should be between 1.008 and 1.014, but that's not necessarily what you're going to end up with, depending on your recipe.

To some people this will seem obvious but it could have caused your problem: make sure you have an adequate height difference between the carboys. If your siphon suddenly stopped for no apparent reason it could be because the liquid levels reached the same height.

Back