?? about East Coast Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlkWater_brewer

Reaction score
Anybody here really swear by ECY? Upon a recommendation I bought some. Got lucky apparently and it was in stock when I bought it. Is there any more to this yeast than hype? When I want to brew, I want to brew not wait a minimum of a month on the off chance that it will be in stock again. Should I run from this brand or try and live with the "we get it when we get" attitude. The best yeast in the world is no good if you can't get it. Opinions???

I've bought 4 strains from them and only one wasn't up to snuff. The Kolsch and Munichfest are freaking awesome! The Flanders ale culture was pretty good as well. However, the BugFarm #1 I bought a year or so ago was a total dud.

I've tried some of their cultures, and they were decent, but definitely a bit of a wait to get them. I also had some issues with contamination in two of the strains, but the Bug County was quite good, better than any of the other commercial sour blends I had used in the past. All around, I would say ECY is definitely worth a try and worth the wait. Small quality hiccups are going to occur with a small scale manufacturing outfit like that, and they seem to be rare.

If you want to try some new cultures but don't want to deal with the waiting around and potential quality issues, try The Yeast Bay. They are a newer yeast company providing new unique cultures, and they have White Labs serving as their contract manufacturing. All of their cultures I've used have been great, and with White Labs making the yeast, there's never a question about quality. They are also coming out with a new lineup according to their Facebook page, including a big sour blend, a sour saison, a big Brett blend and a "dry Belgian" strain.

It's been a while since ECY released something though, so it might be up again soon if you want to give it a try. Good luck!

Took your advice and placed an order with The Yeast Bay. I will keep my eyes open for the ECY mystery delivery schedule. I suppose there is more money in his HB Club scheme than pleasing the individuals. Not sure I want to have a 1BBL bottle of the Flemish Blend, but alas I would always have some available, hummmmm....

I've bought 4 strains from them and only one wasn't up to snuff. The Kolsch and Munichfest are freaking awesome! The Flanders ale culture was pretty good as well. However, the BugFarm #1 I bought a year or so ago was a total dud.

How was bugfarm you bought a year ago a dud? It should age for about 18 months before being considered ready to consume.

Back