British Brown Ale Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after a nice long secondary I had only come down to 1.019. Had pretty high efficiency (OG 1.051) so I went ahead and bottled it. Was kinda bummed out that it didn't get down to where I want it but as I sat there drinking the delicious hydrometer jar I remembered that I like a big beer anyway and so it's all good. Hopefully the bottles don't all explode :D

Looking to do 10 gallons of this. Keg half and bottle the other half. How would this taste if I bottled with Maple Syrup? I love Tommy Knocker Maple nut brown. Hoping to get a similar taste

Looking to do 10 gallons of this. Keg half and bottle the other half. How would this taste if I bottled with Maple Syrup? I love Tommy Knocker Maple nut brown. Hoping to get a similar taste

I say go for it!!! I like doing 10gallon batches, leaving 5 standard and experimenting with the other 5. Then you can compare side by side and tweak your "signature recipes" to support the base beer style. :mug:

Mine is in the NB glass on the left, the real one is in the Newcastle Brown glass on the right. Color is identical. They are similar tasting, but my recipe does not have that distinct toffee aftertaste which the real thing has. Also tastes stronger than the real one.
nba.jpg

This turned out really good. I mashed a bit higher than the recipe called for and I had a higher OG and FG. Color was only slightly darker. Head retention about the same as Newcastle. I would say mine is hoppier and has nice nutty roasty flavor.

What I missed out on, and what I had hoped for, was the sort of skunkiness that newcastle has. Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this?

Here's my take on a 5 gallon batch extract recipe.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.12 lb Pale Liquid Extract
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Target [11.00%] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU

1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

I haven't made this one, so use it at your own peril, but I started with Biermuncher's recipe and converted it in beersmith. I took out the Roasted barley because it came to 0.04 lb. That's like, 4 grains :p

I realize this is quite an old post, but does anyone have feedback on the extract recipe? I'm a very new brewer, just did my first recipe from a kit this weekend, and I'd love to try a Newcastle clone soon. It's one of the very few beers SWMBO actually enjoys. (One of MANY I like...)

What I missed out on, and what I had hoped for, was the sort of skunkiness that newcastle has. Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this?

My understanding is skunkiness is caused by light hitting the beer. That's why most beers use amber bottles. Newcastle though uses clear bottles... Maybe it's time to buy a case or two of Newcastle and save the clear bottles for your clone? :mug:

Wow, did I miss something with this. After two weeks in the bottle, it is barely drinkable. No malt flavor or smell at all. OG was 1.05 with a final of 1.012. Tried to save a few bucks so I used Notty. The guy at the LHBS was very busy when he filled my order, and I am thinking that he must have left out some of the grain. However, the color is right on. Will let it age for two more weeks and see if it is better.

I realize this is quite an old post, but does anyone have feedback on the extract recipe? I'm a very new brewer, just did my first recipe from a kit this weekend, and I'd love to try a Newcastle clone soon. It's one of the very few beers SWMBO actually enjoys. (One of MANY I like...)

I've made this (or variations of it) 3 times now, the latest is in the carboy right now.

The first time I made it, it was exactly the recipe you posted, except I replaced Target with Challenger hops. I also added a half oz.

It was really close and very tasty.

Mine is in the NB glass on the left, the real one is in the Newcastle Brown glass on the right. Color is identical. They are similar tasting, but my recipe does not have that distinct toffee aftertaste which the real thing has. Also tastes stronger than the real one.
nba.jpg

I just pulled a pint of this. The first one in about a month. Before it tasted just like a regular brown ale. Now it really tastes more like a Newcastle Brown. I brewed it on 7/31. So it is just over 3 months old.

Just bottled my attempt at this.
I used the Special B as someone suggested, as well as the Safale 04.
I'll give an update when I try it!

I am looking for a 5 gallon all grain version of this recipe but I can't find it in the replies.
Is it just a matter of halfing the 10 gallon recipe?

just learned last weekend how much i truly love new castle. this will be my next brew. im dropping the roasted barley and will mash higher like you suggested. thanks for putting this beauty together.

I brewed this as my first All Grain tonight however I did nto use a yeast starter. I used a a vial of White Labs Yeast instead. I am new to all grain and I wanted to get some experience before I added a yeast started to the mix. Should I have pitched 2 vials instead of one?

I brewed this as my first All Grain tonight however I did nto use a yeast starter. I used a a vial of White Labs Yeast instead. I am new to all grain and I wanted to get some experience before I added a yeast started to the mix. Should I have pitched 2 vials instead of one?

Probably so with White Labs...You can get away with Wyeast just pitching cuz it has a nutrient pack in it (the smack packs) but I always recomend a starter when using any liquid yeast. The more healthy yeast you can pitch the bettter attenuation you will have.

mrmalty.com has a good yeast calculator tool you can use to calculate this.....

If you have another vial I would start it up and pitch it as soon as possible.... IF not....did you oxygenate really well and add yeast nutrient to the boil? I would also look at doing some staggered nutrients to help your yeasties out as much as possible....

I use WLP yeast almost exclusively and have NEVER made a starter, nor needed to. I warm it up for about 4 hours before pitching and have never had to wait longer than 24 hours for yeast activity. I have, on the other hand, had back luck with Saf-Ale if I don't make a starter first (even though it says one is not needed!).

ah, crud. I just pitched the vial after oxygenating pretty well. It has been 30 hours with no activity so I an getting a bit nervous. I may be screwed since I don't have the glassware to make a yeast starter just yet. Should I just get another vial and pitch it and hope for the best? Should I agitate the wort when I repitch?
Crud.

ah, crud. I just pitched the vial after oxygenating pretty well. It has been 30 hours with no activity so I an getting a bit nervous. I may be screwed since I don't have the glassware to make a yeast starter just yet. Should I just get another vial and pitch it and hope for the best? Should I agitate the wort when I repitch?
Crud.

Give it more time. Liquid yeasts are a bit more sluggish. Don't do anything.

Thanks for the advice. I well experienced at doing nothing!

I did a search and could not find the answer to this one: How does a sluggish yeast affect the taste of a beer?

I just brewed this last night. I used a blowoff hose since my batch was a bit over 5 gallons in my 6.5 gallon bucket. This morning I noticed that the hose had come off somehow (no, it's not clogged, looks like I never even attached it but I am certain I did). Since CO2 displaces O2 in lower places (valleys, bottoms of buckets, etc) I assume that any O2 that might have made it into my bucket through the 3/8" hole in the lid would easily be removed/displaced back out the hole be the CO2 being created by the beer.

Am I right? Or might I end up with some funky things going on due to the bucket not being sealed? I hope no dust, junk, bacteria, etc got into my bucket!

Not so much an Aberdeen or All-Grain question but general brewing. That said, I know plenty of people who leave the carboy open for 12-24 hours and then close it up with an airlock or blowhose. That tiny little hole you have, plus sanitized equipment, AND the fact that you have an acidic and hop-filled wort, will keep you safe.

It's a darn good beer. The Whitbred yeast is key. Makes it nice and mellow. If you want it just a bit more mellow, cut out the roast barley and take your IBU's down to 20 and mash at around 157-158. It will really fit the Northern Brown and be a bit maltier than the recipe below.

That is what I have in my notes for any tweaks I'd make.

How can I take the IBU's to 20? Also, if I leave the roasted barley will that take the maltiness over the top?

How can I take the IBU's to 20? Also, if I leave the roasted barley will that take the maltiness over the top?

Roasted barley lends more of a roast coffee bean flavor than a malt flavor. Removing it takes out the very small "bite" that exists in the regular recipe.

Jut reduce your hops to lower the IBU's. :D :mug:

Roasted barley lends more of a roast coffee bean flavor than a malt flavor. Removing it takes out the very small "bite" that exists in the regular recipe.

Jut reduce your hops to lower the IBU's. :D :mug:

I was thinking of 1oz of Goldings for a 5 gal batch, split at 1/2 @60 mins, 1/2 @15mins, is that enough of a reduction?

Many thanks for this recipe. I used safale-04 and let it sit in primary for three weeks. It's now been in the keg for about a 3-4 weeks and it's starting to come together. I hit OG right on, but I don't feel this really tastes like Newcastle. It's a nice beer, very mellow, but mine's a bit too... dry? I might have off flavors as my inline O2 system wasn't working properly and my ground water was so cold wort was coming out of cfc at 40 degrees. I never really was able to dial the temp in properly.

Anyway, thanks for the recipe. I'm enjoying the beer.

Going to make this my 4th BIAB this weekend. I really like the mellowness of Newcastle as a nice change of pace from my usual hoppy beers.

John

Just brewed this yesterday. This is only the 2nd recipe I've ever made twice. Hit all the numbers and all went well. Sure to be delicious again. Thanks for the recipe!!

I was thinking of doing this recipe as a 5 gallon extract batch. 12.5 lbs for the 10 gallon all grain. Half that 6.25 lbs. Converting that to extract would be 3.75 lbs. DME. 3.75 lbs seems like not very much compared to the other brews I have done.

Granted, I'm a noob brewer with only 5 total batches under my belt. Can someone check my math and does 3.75 lbs. of DME seem right?

Last question regarding this recipe is about the corn, flaked. This may be a dumb question but is that the same thing as Kellog's Corn Flakes? I don't think I've seen corn, flaked on the shelves of the LHBS.

Hey,
I was wondering what the effect of the corn is? I know someone asks before and the answer was to do with balance. If I upped the base malt(Maris Otter) would this simply make it maltier while excluding the corn? Additionally I am considering adding oats in place of the Cara-pils malt. Will this make a drastic difference?
Cheers!

Cormac

Since I got the base idea from this recipe Ill post of my version to see what you guys think. I am somewhat of a newb, but have had good success following recipes. This will be my first time just kind of using what i have left over from the last few brews.

15 gallon batch

17lb 2 row
3lb baked 2 row
.5lb brown malt
3lb corn, flaked
1lb special b
1.5lb carapils/dextrine
2lbs crystal 20l
.5lb chocolate malt
.2lb roasted barley

I plan on bumping the IBUs some too, any ideas on hops that would work well with something like this?

We have some oatmeal left from the last stout, how would that change this brew?

First AG and it went well! Used washed whittbread I salvaged from a friend. OG was a little high so hoping it doesn't turn out too sweet. Looking forward to coming back from
the holidays to this!

Hello brewers, I decide to brew my first all-grain beer and thought starting with this recipe as I love brown ale style.
I have brew extract before but even though I’m very new in all this, so I would appreciate your help.
The original post by BierMuncher(Jan 2007) look really nice as ingredients seams to be easy to find for me (If you know a good web site store, let me know) and I have the equipment to do all-grain, this are my doubts:

I’m worry about fermenting this one as I have only been used a single fermentation, I’ll quote the original post about this step:
“Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 at 69 degrees
Additional Fermentation: Kegged and chilled to 37 degrees for 5 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 at 69 with gelatin”
Ok, I don’t keg my beer, I bottle them, does it make a difference?
What is the procedure of secondary fermentation? Should I just transfer the beer to another fermenter, add gelatin (how much?) and wait again? Should I use more yeast? Then after that time add the sugar, bottle my beer and wait again? Is that the right way?

I will really appreciate you help.

...I’m worry about fermenting this one as I have only been used a single fermentation, I’ll quote the original post about this step:
“Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 at 69 degrees
Additional Fermentation: Kegged and chilled to 37 degrees for 5 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 at 69 with gelatin”
Ok, I don’t keg my beer, I bottle them, does it make a difference?
What is the procedure of secondary fermentation? Should I just transfer the beer to another fermenter, add gelatin (how much?) and wait again? Should I use more yeast? Then after that time add the sugar, bottle my beer and wait again? Is that the right way?

I will really appreciate you help.

For bottling, and for limited availability of fermeneters, I would recommend simply letting the beer ferment for 2-3 weeks in the primary (until samples appear crystal clear) and then rack to your bottling bucket. Gelatin will pull so much yeast out of your beer that...while the bottles will condition, they will take longer. For this reason, I'd skip the gelatin and allow the bottles sufficient time in the fridge (after they've carbonated) to clear on their own. :mug:

BierMuncher - First, thank you for sharing your recipe. I'm interested to know if you've brewed this again since your original post, and if so, do you think you managed to get any closer to the Newcastle flavor profile? If you did, I'd love to hear of any adjustments you made.

I know you originally mentioned mashing at a higher temperature, but wondered if you ever got around to brewing this recipe again.

Cheers!

Back