Abby Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming you mean Abbey Ale...which is a belgian beer made in the style of the trappist monks.

Here's a few things i got from searches:

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22abbey+ale%22+site%3Ahomebrewtalk.com"]google search: "Abbey Ale" at homebrewtalk.com[/ame]

[ame="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22abbey+ale%22"]regular google: Abbey Ale[/ame]

you will be looking for an Abbey, Belgian, or Trappist yeast.

you can find many recipes here at HBT or at The Recipator

also, check out the BJCP guidelines...the style for abbey ales is generally Dubbels...but different belgian ales are made by as abbey ales.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category18.html

Whoo hoo, I'm number one on the search!

:cross:

Try mine if you do AG's. I swear it tastes just like Chimay Red...er...only better.

:D

This is definitely a tried and true recipe that I've made many times and it's good. A little TOO good actually. I'll be doing 10 gallons of this next time I brew it.

Let me know if you decide to try it!

:mug:

Spyk'd said:
This is definitely a tried and true recipe that I've made many times and it's good. A little TOO good actually. I'll be doing 10 gallons of this next time I brew it.

Let me know if you decide to try it!

Spyk'd....

I am researching Belgian recipes as well, and I am thinking of brewing yours. Looks nice and simple. Did you ferment at a warm temp or just regular?

One thing that I have found interesting, is that many recipes call for candi sugar but not yours. Is this something that will be missed, or is this fairly common?

I am not sure that I will use Willimette, I have fuggles, ekg, Tettnang, and several american varieties already that I need to use up before I start buying more hops. Suggestions? I know that Fuggles is usually interchangable with willimette but I am not sure about the flavor it will impart in this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!!!!!

big supper said:
Spyk'd.... or Anyone

I am researching Belgian recipes as well, and I am thinking of brewing yours. Looks nice and simple. Did you ferment at a warm temp or just regular?

One thing that I have found interesting, is that many recipes call for candi sugar but not yours. Is this something that will be missed, or is this fairly common?

I am not sure that I will use Willimette, I have fuggles, ekg, Tettnang, and several american varieties already that I need to use up before I start buying more hops. Suggestions? I know that Fuggles is usually interchangable with willimette but I am not sure about the flavor it will impart in this.

Bump

Anyone????????????????????

candi sugar will just make it lighter and drier...i'd use it more for tripels and strong ales than dubbels

fuggle for bittering and tettnang for flavour would be nice

big supper said:
Spyk'd....

I ferment at 70 degrees for both primary (7-10 days) and secondary (14 days), so it is on the warm side. I think this helps the yeast with their character.

With my grain bill and efficiency the recipe finishes out at 7.5% ABV, so no I don't use candi sugar as that is the most common use; to raise alcohol content. This is also more common with Dubbels and Trippels and mine is in the "Belgian Pale Ale" category.

:drunk:

As far as the hops, I'd stick with Fuggles as that's what Willamette are bred from, but I'd use the lowest AA% you can or use less to reach about 24 IBU's to stay true to the recipe. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html

The idea with this was to pefectly balance the yeast, malt, and hops so that there is no one ingredient outshinning another. I think I was HIGHLY successful in this regard, if I do have to toot my own horn.

>HONK< >HONK<

:cross:

Keep the questions coming, I totally stand behind this recipe and LOVE the end product.

Thank for the interest!

Latest posts

Back