Abbey Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugen112

Reaction score
This recipe has been handed down through the eons from monk to monk.

Abbey Dubbel
6 lb Pilsner Malt
1 lb Carahell Malt
1 lb Dark Munich Malt
1 lb Abbey Malt
1 lb Aromatic Malt
1 lb Honey Malt
1 lb Special B Malt
1 lb Chocolate Malt
2 oz Saaz Hops (60)
2 oz Hallertauer Hops (30)
1 lb Dark Belgian Candi Sugar (15)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (15)
1 Vial Liquid Abbey Ale Yeast

I am in the process of ninja milling my grains. It's a very slow and delicate process as only one individual grain can be milled at a time.

First I throw a grain into the air, then I attack it with a katana. There's a shuriken variation of milling but my sensei hasn't taught me that yet.

Ya I just had some new Belgium brand abbey dubbel yesterday. It was pretty good, says it has 6 different malts in it I wonder what they are.

I'm going out to get a kettle tomorrow. I want ss. Any suggestions?

I heard camping and sporting stores may have a big one.

passedpawn said:
Sounds interesting. Never heard of abbey malt, but I just looked and see it out there. Hmmm.

Good luck with the Ginsu knives there.

Castle renamed most of their malts. Abbey is the new name for Aromatic malt I believe. Annoying if you ask me...

Ps OP, you're going to want more than one vial for that if you're not making a starter, I suggest a starter.

First batch didn't need a starter and the owner of my brew shop freaked out when I said people r tellin me to use two vials or make a starter. He said no need if I'm only pitching in 5g.

Then again I didn't check the fg of the first batch yet.

First batch didn't need a starter and the owner of my brew shop freaked out when I said people r tellin me to use two vials or make a starter. He said no need if I'm only pitching in 5g.

Then again I didn't check the fg of the first batch yet.

Find a new brew shop.

What if my beers turn out great with one vial? What then?

Must be because of the ninja milling. I think it could be interesting to make a starter as an experiment to see if you notice a difference. Assuming the Abbey Ale yeast is a Belgian strain, sometimes it's actually better for them to be a little stressed by underpitching. I didn't make a starter on my 8% saison and people love that beer. Still, a good idea a lot of times.

If you can make a world class beer starting at roughly 1.070 with the cell count provided by one vial of yeast, on the home brew level, you need to be a published author spreading that ultra secret knowledge.

lowtones84 said:
Must be because of the ninja milling. I think it could be interesting to make a starter as an experiment to see if you notice a difference. Assuming the Abbey Ale yeast is a Belgian strain, sometimes it's actually better for them to be a little stressed by underpitching. I didn't make a starter on my 8% saison and people love that beer. Still, a good idea a lot of times.

I was thinking the ninja milling helps too!

One day I will make two exact batches of beer or even one ten g batch and split it into two carboys. Pitching a vial in one and a starter in another. Then compare.

But like I said I haven't even checked the first batch yet it could be garbage ;)

But so guys know the owner of my brewshop owns a bar and restaurant too and they sell their own homebrew and people luv it. People come from the neighboring cities to get beer and pig kegs and that stuff. So when the owner says I don't need two vials I will take his word for it until my beer is screwed up.

If it turns out great with one vial, sweet, but realistically you're underpitching and a starter or more vials will probably improve the beer.

You can use one vial.

You should use two or make a starter.

Make a starter once and you'll probably never go back to strait pitching. It's crazy easy and your fermentations will thank you.

This recipe has been handed down through the eons from monk to monk.

Abbey Dubbel
6 lb Pilsner Malt
1 lb Carahell Malt
1 lb Dark Munich Malt
1 lb Abbey Malt
1 lb Aromatic Malt
1 lb Honey Malt
1 lb Special B Malt
1 lb Chocolate Malt
2 oz Saaz Hops (60)
2 oz Hallertauer Hops (30)
1 lb Dark Belgian Candi Sugar (15)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (15)
1 Vial Liquid Abbey Ale Yeast

I am in the process of ninja milling my grains. It's a very slow and delicate process as only one individual grain can be milled at a time.

First I throw a grain into the air, then I attack it with a katana. There's a shuriken variation of milling but my sensei hasn't taught me that yet.

This seems like a ploy to draw the "that's too much caramel/specialty malt" crowd out to say the recipe needs to be changed. Go for it dude and good luck with the katana.

smokinghole said:
This seems like a ploy to draw the "that's too much caramel/specialty malt" crowd out to say the recipe needs to be changed. Go for it dude and good luck with the katana.

Is abbey malt really just aromatic malt? Cuz the lovibonds are different...

Abbey malt is from weyerman. I've never used it before, but my brew shop carries it. It's not a base malt, but it can make up a large portion of the grains.

Ya I just had some new Belgium brand abbey dubbel yesterday. It was pretty good, says it has 6 different malts in it I wonder what they are.

I emailed the brewer a few years ago and here is what he gave me "The malt bill is Pale, Munich, Caramel (80), and Chocolate malt. Hops are Target, Willamette and Liberty. The 2 step mash takes about an hour. The starting Plato is 21. IBU is about 25. Sugar is added to the boil." Also said that WLP550 is close to their house yeast. I have a post around here with my version of the recipe. I may have to make this again before summer heat hits my ferm room.

Beernip said:
I emailed the brewer a few years ago and here is what he gave me "The malt bill is Pale, Munich, Caramel (80), and Chocolate malt. Hops are Target, Willamette and Liberty. The 2 step mash takes about an hour. The starting Plato is 21. IBU is about 25. Sugar is added to the boil." Also said that WLP550 is close to their house yeast. I have a post around here with my version of the recipe. I may have to make this again before summer heat hits my ferm room.

Sweet cool thankyou.

Back