Abbey brewing ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegun

Reaction score
Just read "Brew Like A Monk" and it mentions re-pitching primary yeast. That's telling me to pitch again, with the same yeast before bottling, along with priming?
We'll be bottling a Trippel that has been in Secondary for 9 weeks soon, and a bit concerned that the yeast remaining in it will be insufficient to carbonate.

There will be plenty of yeast. It will take longer to carbonate then a quick ale you fermented/conditioned for 4 weeks - but that is OK because this is a big beer and needs more time anyways. Patience is one of the hardest brewing techniques to master...

GT

I just finished reading BLAM myself.

The way I understand it, they repitch primary yeast (probably top-cropped) from an actively fermenting batch into the bottle conditioned brew when bottling. This is different than relying on the yeast that is already present in the beer to bottle ferment.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about it. As Got Trub stated, there should still be plenty of viable yeast present in the original brew to complete the bottle fermentation, though after 9 wks in the secondary it may take a bit longer to carbonate.

If you're really concerned, I would just pitch another fresh packet of whatever yeast you used initially. Add it at the same time you add the priming sugar and bottle as usual.

Im in the middle of reading b.l.a.m, to bottle the high volumes of co2 required I think he recommends using champagne bottles. Im brewing in few weeks and when its time to bottle I think Im going to use swing tops

The reason most Belgian brewers repitch is because; one, they usually lager their beers for a couple of weeks, this makes most of the yeast flocculate and two, they want to make sure there are enough viable yeast cells to ensure carbonation because the beer is higher in alcohol, which kills the yeast over time.
However, I don't think homebrewers need to worry about repitching, the Belgians go it because they have to make sure all their beers are carbonated properly, and repitching really makes sure that it happens.

We bottled today, using Duvel bottles with corks and bails, tasted incredible, like Chimay, but a few twangs that we hope will settle down. Plan on waiting a month or so before we try one. BLAM got finished last night, and I got the same impressions you guys have put forth, we should be fine with the residual yeast. Thanks for the responses.

Iordz said:
The reason most Belgian brewers repitch is because; one, they usually lager their beers for a couple of weeks, this makes most of the yeast flocculate and two, they want to make sure there are enough viable yeast cells to ensure carbonation because the beer is higher in alcohol, which kills the yeast over time.
However, I don't think homebrewers need to worry about repitching, the Belgians go it because they have to make sure all their beers are carbonated properly, and repitching really makes sure that it happens.

this is the exact reason why. i finished reading blam about 4 weeks ago. the yeast is top cropped during primary fermentation.

Back