AB Shock Top (warning?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SWMBO and I went to BW3 (a hot wings chain) last night, and I was quite surprised to find that they had nearly 30 beers on tap. I was also quite disappointed to find that they had about 25 American lagers on tap and about 5 rather run-of-the-mill imports. I asked for something "not so common," and the waiter suggested "Shock Top." Having never heard of it, I bit. When he brought it, I thought of sending it back, thinking, "This guy just brought me a Blue Moon." I took another few sips, and thought, "Wait, this doesn't taste as good(?) as Blue Moon." Turns out, I got duped into trying Anheuser-Busch's latest attempt at upsetting the craft beer market. It's crap. Don't bother.

SWMBO and I went to BW3 (a hot wings chain) last night, and I was quite surprised to find that they had nearly 30 beers on tap. I was also quite disappointed to find that they had about 25 American lagers on tap and about 5 rather run-of-the-mill imports. I asked for something "not so common," and the waiter suggested "Shock Top." Having never heard of it, I bit. When he brought it, I thought of sending it back, thinking, "This guy just brought me a Blue Moon." I took another few sips, and thought, "Wait, this doesn't taste as good(?) as Blue Moon." Turns out, I got duped into trying Anheuser-Busch's latest attempt at upsetting the craft beer market. It's crap. Don't bother.

GAWD. What a joke. A-B is so desperate. They introduced the lime/salt beer too, to compete with Miller Chill.

A-B is a parody of itself.

Regarding BWW, we just got one here last month, and the beer sucks balls. I've complained to the manager to no avail. Literally it is 30 taps of swill. They can't even get a SNPA? Ridiculous.

You know I saw that in the store and I thought it must be a BMC product. The bright, cartoon like packaging just yells BMC crap in disguise.

It is kind of like the Joe Camel of the beer world.

In my opinion they are not doing themselves any favors.

Their (failing) attempt to brew beers that appeal to true beer lovers is going to back fire. EAC’s will bash them and beer review sites/periodicals will expose them as profit seekers and not beer enthusiasts.

Once the public begins hearing that AB failed to brew a decent stout…the next logical question is “is it possible that they just aren’t really good at brewing any style of beer?”

Their (failing) attempt to brew beers that appeal to true beer lovers is going to back fire. EAC’s will bash them and beer review sites/periodicals will expose them as profit seekers and not beer enthusiasts.

Once the public begins hearing that AB failed to brew a decent stout…the next logical question is “is it possible that they just aren’t really good at brewing any style of beer?”

You'd think they be able to take some Guiness and just slap an different label on it.

Well we all know the answer to that, but my 50-something neihbors, a couple who start every morning with bud cans on their front porch, will never learn!

The only trouble is, a lot of BMC drinkers may try to "expand their horizons" by trying an AB stout or wit for the first time thinking that (in their naive eyes) that "Bud is a good beer, so if it comes from the makers of Bud, it MUST be good..." (ewwww:rolleyes:)

Then not liking it they might then think that ALL wits or Stouts or "craft" beers in general taste bad. So it may actually keep people drinking their Bud and not trying a real example of that particular style....

Then after their line fails AB can go back to their old anti craft beer marketing and say "We told you that Stouts and Wits and Ales taste bad, so here, this Bud's for you!"

This is the same beer that they've had out for a a couple of years now. It was previously named Spring Heat, Summer Wheat. They renamed it earlier this year.

I usually get New Belgium 1554 bottle when I am at the BWW down the street from my house. Far better than anything they have on tap.

Regarding BWW, we just got one here last month, and the beer sucks balls. I've complained to the manager to no avail. Literally it is 30 taps of swill. They can't even get a SNPA? Ridiculous.

:off:, but I can't stand Buffalo Wild Wings. The food is marginal at best, my local one wanted $6.00 for a 22 oz of BMC the last time I was in there - I turned around and walked out. You pay $9 for a crummy burger and if you want fries you have to fork over another $2!

I boycotted that place long ago. Crappy, overpriced food and even more crappy, more overpriced beer.

totally off topic, well kind of. Why did Buffalo Wild Wings nick name themselves BW3? To me that implies that there are 3 W's or 3 of something, when there is not. I've heard B-Dubs and that works with the W's. Also when you nick name yourself, it's totally lame. We go there for their cheap wing night all the time though. And your right 1000 taps of piss.

:off:, but I can't stand Buffalo Wild Wings. The food is marginal at best, my local one wanted $6.00 for a 22 oz of BMC the last time I was in there - I turned around and walked out. You pay $9 for a crummy burger and if you want fries you have to fork over another $2!

I boycotted that place long ago. Crappy, overpriced food and even more crappy, more overpriced beer.
When I lived in Galloway, we used to go to the one just off Hilliard-Rome Rd. After moving back to Chicago I realized how overpriced that one was. The one closest to my house is muuuch cheaper on food as well as beer. It's my usual tuesday hangout lately after work, 40 cent wing night.

Theres a pretty reliable way to tell if a "craft" beer is from AB. They always use some kind of character and that character always has SUNGLASSES on.

Theres a pretty reliable way to tell if a "craft" beer is from AB. They always use some kind of character and that character always has SUNGLASSES on.
Had I seen the bottle or tap prior to ordering, I'd have passed immediately. Instead, I elected to take advice from a 22 year old effeminate waiter.

As for the BW3 nickname...SWMBO and I were wondering the same thing!

You know, I think this kind of is at the heart of why many HB's have a thing against the beer giants. They are dumbing down styles by making an attempt to push these styles to broad appeal....at least that if anything is what annoys me the most. It's not about the beer, it's about the market share and that insults me, because it insults the perfection that craft brewers have worked very hard to attain. It's like when Chili's makes 'Mexican' food or something like that. And somebody says..."ooh they make great Mexican food". It's all about redefining and redirecting the unschooled consumer. Not that eating at Chili's is wrong....I hope what I am saying is clear.

The one here just closed recently. If you're a wing/beer place and can't make it the quinticential college town, you're doing something wrong. I never cared for the place myself.

I work in a liquor store so I get to laugh at all of the garbage that gets sent in by AB or Miller to compete with the craft beer segement.

Miller Chill
Bud Lime
Tequiza
Shocktop
AB winter bourbon cask ale
etc...

Greg

Well, that's what you get for going to a wings place for a burger! No wonder!

I actually like the wings a lot. The sauces really give a good variety. We used to go every Tuesday for wings and NTN trivia.

As for the BW3 nickname...SWMBO and I were wondering the same thing!

We asked this once. Supposedly, they used to have a sandwich on the menu that was called the BW3, and it was hugely popular.

Now, I don't understand why said sandwich isn't on the menu anymore, especially if it was THAT good to warrant a nickname for the franchise.

I don't know if I can believe that story, but there it is.

Had I seen the bottle or tap prior to ordering, I'd have passed immediately. Instead, I elected to take advice from a 22 year old effeminate waiter.

i realize that you cant always see a label for beer you order at certain places. i just wanted to put that info out there for anyone who is able to see a tap or label.

totally off topic, well kind of. Why did Buffalo Wild Wings nick name themselves BW3? To me that implies that there are 3 W's or 3 of something, when there is not. I've heard B-Dubs and that works with the W's. Also when you nick name yourself, it's totally lame. We go there for their cheap wing night all the time though. And your right 1000 taps of piss.

I used to frequent a BW3 back in college (a long time ago).
It used to be Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck. Weck is apparently another name for hamburger if you believe the adds.

Havn't been to one in over a decade.

Craig

It used to be Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck. Weck is apparently another name for hamburger if you believe the adds.

Craig

Okay...so my story was partly right.

But again....I ask, why did the Weck go away?

Craig
ok, I'll have to remember that.
I still stand by nicknaming yourself is the lamest thing ever. It's like self proclamation of your coolness, which of course only asshats actually do.

also no dictionary deff for weck, but wikipedia offers this: Kummelweck, a salty roll similar to a Kaiser roll commonly shortened to “weck

We used to go to BWW in college because there was nowhere else in town that really served good wings. And their wings aren't bad. Especially the "Blazin" sauce. We'd all get 4 apiece and see how long we could last without taking a drink.

And let's be honest, here, folks...it's a buffalo wing bar. I don't think I've ever gone to get wings and said "hey, you know what would go well with these furiously spicy sauces? A stout!"

I've had the shock top. It sucked. But I have not seen the stout. Anyone know what it is called so I can avoid it?

The BWW's by me aren't bad. They have a decent selection of beers and usually at least a couple micros. Besides that, ours has several bottled micros if you don't like anything on tap. Sure, it's not a "beer bar", but it's better than most places.

Interesting AB note that I picked up at the World Beer Festival. I had heard that they were buying up numerous micros in our area and it turns out they are INVESTING in some of them... purchasing minority interests and opening markets for them. Kind of surprising in my book.

And let's be honest, here, folks...it's a buffalo wing bar. I don't think I've ever gone to get wings and said "hey, you know what would go well with these furiously spicy sauces? A stout!"
I am being honest. I went there for the wings. I was excited to learn they had 30 taps. Then I was disappointed in the lack of variety...and even more disappointed in the beer I chose to try. They do have Guinness if you want a stout with your wings.

I had this beer several months ago. I didn't think it was bad by any means (especially for AB). It doesn't compare to some of the really well done Wits, but it wasn't disgusting.

Yay! We made it 13 posts this time! Sweeet! I think that might be a new HBT record.

:rockin:
Well you know I saw it happening and was like... wtf no one has bash bmc yet. It must be done.
And so I took this so momentous and important task upon myself, to not let a HBT thread that mentions bmc to go without bmc=piss. ;)

We used to go to BWW in college because there was nowhere else in town that really served good wings. And their wings aren't bad. Especially the "Blazin" sauce. We'd all get 4 apiece and see how long we could last without taking a drink.

:D Indeed, very funny.

I am being honest. I went there for the wings. I was excited to learn they had 30 taps. Then I was disappointed in the lack of variety...and even more disappointed in the beer I chose to try. They do have Guinness if you want a stout with your wings.

The reasoning behind what I said is that, in my experience, the best beer for really spicy wings is light lager. And the price can't be beat. Our local wing joint sells "buckets" of BMC bottles on the patio for cheap as hell.

Really spicy stuff will numb your palate and a good beer (which would undoubtedly cost twice as much as a BMC) would essentially be wasted. Believe me, I've done this before. Ordered a Dead Guy at the Wild Wing Cafe here, only to have it taste like nothing after 2 or 3 hot wings. Hey, great...I spent $4 on a beer I can't taste when I could have spent $2 on a PBR.

And if you go to a buffalo wing place and don't get hot wings, then, well...um...you suck anyways :D ;)

Really spicy stuff will numb your palate and a good beer (which would undoubtedly cost twice as much as a BMC) would essentially be wasted. Believe me, I've done this before. Ordered a Dead Guy at the Wild Wing Cafe here, only to have it taste like nothing after 2 or 3 hot wings. Hey, great...I spent $4 on a beer I can't taste when I could have spent $2 on a PBR.

I was just thinking the same thing. Regarding the Shock Top (I'm not trying to defend this beer BTW) it could have been a bad/old keg/tap. I've ordered draft Sam Adams in BMC bars before and you could tell it had been sitting in the keg for who-knows-how-long and it was flat....tasted nothing like Sam Adams out of a bottle.

A BWW opened up around here a few years ago. When they opened the food was great. Nice big juicy wings and tenders, a nice variety of sauces, etc. Then after a few months, I swear they started using smaller, crappier wings and they stopped doing their 25 cent wing day. If a wing joint can't make decent wings, I ain't eatin' there... As for beer I don't think I ever bothered with anything better than a Blue Moon there.

I haven't seen Shock Top around here yet, but if I do I think I'll pass on it...

Yuri, I can back you up on this one. My friend bought a sixer of Shock Top and invited me to try some. Who was I to turn it down. I tried it and it reminded me of past-its-prime Blue Moon mixed evenly with Bud. A heaping glass of not good. It wasn't godawful exactly, but it definitely was not wholesome. I'd drink it for free, but I probably wouldn't buy it myself. There's too many other good beers in this category to waste my time.

Now, while we're on AB beers, I would like to add something. Even though Bare Knuckle tastes like a creamy, watered-down version of Guiness, it's not terrible. The nice part is, I usually find Guiness to be mostly tasteless, so when I get to pay $1-1.50 less for a tap of this, I'm fine with it.

Craig

I went to college in Buffalo. A weck is a roast beef sandwich on a salted, caraway seed roll. It also has a German name but I forget what it is...

Back