Aaaaarrrrggggh!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blastardius

Reaction score
OK after using the search function im still unable to decide what to do!
I have a chocolate milk stout brewing in my primary, I want to add cocao nibs but I dont want to rack to secondary (things are going to well to chance infection). I pitched yeast at 3:00 Monday afternoon and she took about 12hrs to start bubbling,bubbled like hell for about 28 hrs then slowed down.
The other part of the dilemma is I want to brew a Belgian Wit, so should I just brew the wit in my 2ndary carboy and just toss the nibs into the stout (in the primary) or should I transfer...or am I over thinking this?

Please know that I am also a rookie but I will tell you that you have 2 options for anything you add to you beer after the boil. Pasteurize it by bringing it to 180 or soak the heck out of it with starsan. I soak everything with starsan and after 15 batches never had an infection.

Hello my name is Drizzt and I have a brewing addiction.

You should just rack to a secondary. Just be sure to sanitize everything and you'll be fine. Adding various flavorings is probably the most common legit reason to use a secondary, so don't be afraid of it.

You could soak the nibs in 1-2 ounces of vodka for a week or two, until the taste is to your liking, then add the extract to your primary or bottling bucket. This way, you can make sure you get the flavor you want without overdoing it. With the vodka, you won't run the risk of infection, either. Plus, it gives you a reason to let the stout sit for a little longer to clean up.

Sorry all to slightly derail the thread but billl are you trying to start a HBT throw down with your "only legit reason" I agree but I am also ducking from the haymakers that are about to rain down. :Sorry had a few extra homebrews tonight

I saw during my search another guy asked that but nobody answered him (soak in star sans)lol yeah ill try the vodka tho. Ill just leave it and do the other in the carboy...sound good? Thanks everyone!

"Sorry all to slightly derail the thread but billl are you trying to start a HBT throw down with your "only legit reason" I agree but I am also ducking from the haymakers that are about to rain down. :Sorry had a few extra homebrews tonight"

Apparently, you had too many beers to actually read my comment. You turned "most common legit reason" to "only legit reason".

"Sorry all to slightly derail the thread but billl are you trying to start a HBT throw down with your "only legit reason" I agree but I am also ducking from the haymakers that are about to rain down. :Sorry had a few extra homebrews tonight"

Apparently, you had too many beers to actually read my comment. You turned "most common legit reason" to "only legit reason".

Your right sorry about that. Darn I wanted to see bottle bombs fly.

Definitely don't soak the cocoa nibs in STARSAN:cross:

You can however just toss them in your primary....or as an alt. (if you are kegging) toss them in the keg in a muslin bag.:mug:

Secondaries are always good for debate. If you want to harvest yeast before adding adjuncts that will muck it up, secondaries have a valid place. Long term aging, say 3 month and longer, warrant a secondary. If using secondaries the head space should be small. Otherwise a secondary is brewer's preference and usually not needed.

If your cocoa nibs are very large chunks, you want to break them up into small bits so the vodka or beer can actually draw the goodness from them. But don't grind them, you don't want powder that's so fine that it's impossible to filter out.

Back