A44 Kveiking -- whoa!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slidingmike

Reaction score
I decided to give kveik yeasts a try in a double NEIPA I was planning. I pitched a whole pack of Imperial A44 Kveiking at 75 degrees F into a 1.073 gravity wort (6 gallons). Yeah, I probably should have only pitched half of it...

I slowly raised the temp up to 92F, and saw airlock activity within 3 hours. 16 hours after pitch, it was already down to 1.040. 28 hours in, it was down to 1.023. I decided that if I was going to spund, I'd better do it then. And at 48 hours, it has dropped to 0.997 (apparent). Even though it was north of 20psi already.

Holy kveik! This was supposed to attenuate at ~80%, which would bring me down to 1.015, perfect for a hazy DIPA.
Has anyone seen anything like this? Does anyone have experience with a bone-dry, fully fermented out hazy DIPA?

Last edited:
I used Kveiking on an American Wheat and the fermentation was crazy! I had a blowoff in 6.5 gal Big Mouth Bubbler filled with 5.5 gallons.

When I used it it didn't over attenuate but I ferment on the cool side, started at 62 and let it rise to 68° F. I had a little twang that came with it after two weeks being carbed but it mellowed out at week 4 and really was a delicious brew at week 6.

How did you measure the current SG? If it's a Tilt or similar in-fermenter hydrometer, you might consider gently rocking your fermenter, in case the hydrometer is lodged up against something and throwing off the readings. The speed of fermentation doesn't surprise me but the attenuation doesn't sound possible. Even if you had an infection, it wouldn't take the gravity to .997 this rapidly.

Hydrometers are affected by dissolved gasses and since you're spunding, you'll definitely have those, but the effect would be to skew the reading higher, not lower.

How did you measure the current SG? If it's a Tilt or similar in-fermenter hydrometer, you might consider gently rocking your fermenter, in case the hydrometer is lodged up against something and throwing off the readings. The speed of fermentation doesn't surprise me but the attenuation doesn't sound possible. Even if you had an infection, it wouldn't take the gravity to .997 this rapidly.

Hydrometers are affected by dissolved gasses and since you're spunding, you'll definitely have those, but the effect would be to skew the reading higher, not lower.
Thank you! I am using the Tilt, and you are absolutely right. I gently rocked the fermenter, and now I'm getting a 1.013 reading -- perfect! I didn't realize that they could get stuck against the cooling coils and throw off the reading. Thanks for this!

Back