A419 tripping GFCI outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff227

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with my problem? I plugged my A419 Johnson temperature controller into a GFCI outlet and it trips the outlet every time it cycles. Turning the chest freezer completely off. I believe the circuit breaker is rated at 20 amps.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Try plugging in somewhere else, if it trips there as well, I would suspect bad wiring / faulty controller. If it doesn't trip, then gfci is bad.

Thanks for the quick response. I have it plugged into a non-GFCI outlet and it seems to be working fine.
Should I just replace the outlets?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the quick response. I have it plugged into a non-GFCI outlet and it seems to be working fine.
Should I just replace the outlets?

I had something similar happen, but I plugged it into one of these: http://www.amazon.com/6-Grounded-In-Wall-Adapter-Resettable-56575/dp/B001UE7SBY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1402636246&sr=8-5&keywords=electrical+multi+outlet and I have not had a problem since. Might work for you if moving the kegerator plug is not a desirable option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone help me with my problem? I plugged my A419 Johnson temperature controller into a GFCI outlet and it trips the outlet every time it cycles. Turning the chest freezer completely off. I believe the circuit breaker is rated at 20 amps.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Did you wire this yourself?

I would immediately suspect (with near 100% certainty) that the Neutral and Safety Ground wires are tied together. This will trip a working GFCI outlet every time...

Cheers!

I didn't. But I will take a look at that. Thanks!

Back