A09 Pub or Wyeast 1335

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooothru

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been doing some maintenance on my yeast bank recently in preparation for Spring brewing. I came across a zombie yeast in my frozen samples that's a 2016 Wyeast 1335 British Ale II. I've previously revived a couple of lager yeasts that old with no problems. It's a clean sample that came from an initial overbuild, so it's 1st generation, and was preserved with sterile water and glycerol, never defrosted.

The other yeast under consideration is a 5 month old clean 2nd generation A09 Pub that's about a 400ml cake under it's original beer from a harvest. It's a very clean sample. The original beer was a lightly hopped Blonde American ale. Based on its age and volume it would be the easier of the two to revive and produce a 1+ liter starter.

The planned beer is a 1.065 OG knockoff of Cigar City's "Jai Alai" DIPA. I want mild esters, hint of orange citrus, brilliant clarity,, and balance that favors the 6 hops over the Maris Otter. I'm thinking that Pub would be best (emphasize the 'marmalade'), and less risk involved than raising a zombie yeast from it's 6 year slumber.

Opinions?

I want mild esters, hint of orange citrus, brilliant clarity,, and balance that favors the 6 hops over the Maris Otter. I'm thinking that Pub would be best (emphasize the 'marmalade'), and less risk involved than raising a zombie yeast from it's 6 year slumber.
It seems that you have answered your own question. Both are good yeasts, zombie or not, but you will only get what you want from the A09 Pub. The 1335 is somewhat neutral and won't give you the character that the Pub will IMHO.

Great, now I'll spend the Easter holidays thinking I need a yeast bank and researching potential technical solutions before realising I really don't want to deal with all the hassle involved and prefer to just buy fresh yeast instead of fighting over fridge and or freezer space with my girlfriend.
*Sigh*

Back