A yeast starter that I don't need but don't want to waste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
So, here's what happened ..... I made a yeast starter for an IPA that me and brewing-partner/cousin were starting yesterday. After 24 hours, there was ZERO activity, and I belatedly realized that I had used the wrong tube of British Ale Yeast that was in my fridge - it was 6 months old and my cousin had purchased a new one last week for this brew. Rather than risk pitching in the starter that had the old yeast, that I wasn't sure had any viable yeast in it, we decided to go with the new yeast sans starter.

So, as you may have guessed, I wake up this morning and what's my old yeast doing? Happily bubbling away, of course. I don't guess that it would be a good idea to open the bucket and add this stuff NOW (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'll do it right now if you guys say it'll help), but I don't want it to go to waste. What's the best way to save it for the next brew?

The recipe we followed was for something called a Punishment IPA, very hoppy, 1.082 was the OG that I measured.

As always, thanks for any advice.

How big was the IPA? Was the specific gravity (OG) over 1.070? If so, I would pitch both. One vial without a starter could be too little yeast for a higher gravity brew, particularly if you didn't aerate the heck out of it.

Otherwise, wait until the starter ferments out and there is no more activity then cool it in the fridge. Once the yeast has settled, pour off most of the beer and seal it up with sanitized plastic wrap and a rubber band. It will keep in the fridge for weeks (possibly months).

EDIT: Oops -- just noticed it was a 1.082 beer. Duh - Monday morning, can't read. Yes, I would add that starter.

Okay, sounds good. Next question, since I've never used a yeast starter before - do I throw in the whole mess including the sediment at the bottom, or just the liquid part, or what? I have no idea.

First thing...make sure to let the starter complete its minnie fermentation. You don't want to store that starter while there are still fermentables.

Give it a week or so in the same temp environment as your fermenter.

When it's done fermenting, I would give the jar a good swirl to resuspend all the yeast and stuff and split it up into 2 or 3 sanitized beer bottles, cap them, label and store in the fridge.

You'll pull a minimal amount of sediment but that's okay. I used a yeast I stored back in March this past weekend and it was fine. It can keep a long time.

rockout said:
Okay, sounds good. Next question, since I've never used a yeast starter before - do I throw in the whole mess including the sediment at the bottom, or just the liquid part, or what? I have no idea.
If all the yeast has already settled out, then just gently pour off (decant) most of the beer on top and pitch the yeast slurry at the bottom. Otherwise, it is better to pitch the whole thing to ensure you don't throw out yeast.

Back