A Wit this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
This weekend I'm going to be brewing this recipe I found in this thread: http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4685

Code:
6.6 pounds of Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
1 pound of clear Belgian candi sugar
.5 ounces of bitter orange peel (2 min)
.5 ounces of tettnanger hops (10 min)
2 ounces of styrian golding hops (30min)
.75 ounces of coriander seed (2 min)
1 pkg of white labs wit yeast
0.75 cups of corn sugar (priming)

Instruction

1) bring three gallons of water to boil for 5 minutes. This will precipitate out any chlorine in the water. Remove from heat.
2) Mix in Coopers Light malt extract, reapply heat, bring to a gentle boil.
3) Add Styrian Golding hops and boil for 30 minutes
4) With 10 minutes remaining in the boil, add tettnanger hops and candy sugar. With 2 min remaining in the boil add orange peel and coriander seed (crushed).
5) After boil, aggressively cool to room temperature and add yeast.
6) Ferment at 68-75 F

I was planning on adding a pound of specialty grains... wheat, and steep that for 30mins. Also, I've read some about late extract additions and was wondering what the benefit of this can be. Any suggestions?

Late extract additions give the extract less time to carmelize therefore giving a lighter color. However with less extract the hop utilization is more effective giving a hoppier brew.

Well I just brewed this toady, had a friend over who was interested in the process, I think he might start as well.

But damn does this smell good.

Back