A white film/oil on cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALBerg

Reaction score
I'm new to making cider, but I just moved my 2 1 gal carboys batch to secondary carboys after 10 days of fermenting I used star san to clean everything and when moving I had a lot of head space so I topped it off with a little more cider. Than, looking at it today I seen a film on top it kinda reminded me of what it looked like when the foam you get in beginning stages but slightly oily and I am super worried about mold. Is this mold and what precautions should I make before it becomes a a really big problem? :confused:

1609595_713015835397732_897051995_n.jpg

1798750_713015872064395_1765644980_n.jpg

Looks to me like it could be a separation of your cider and you newly added juice....due to the gravity difference...but I am new to cider...anxious to learn what this is as well. My initial thoughts are this will gradually disappear.

You might have gotten some san star left in there and the refermentaion caused it to come out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

It's possible it's the star san, at first glance I don't think it's an infection/mold. Star san is a bit of a necessary evil, but you really should do the best you can to get it all out prior.

I refuse to put it in my airlocks because of the chance for dripping / suction, mainly because I don't want my cider to even have a chance to be exposed to star san.

I think that is what it is star san in the airlock got in the carboy. I didn't plan to drink for probably a month, but will it be still safe or did is it screwed? :(

Star San is fine if it is mixed right. After a soak I dump then fill the carboy immediately. Bubbles go away after a few hours after racking.

Back