A weissenbock with ale yeast (the bavarian wheat strain)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asterix404

Reaction score
So I don't know if this is possible but I have a lot of fun ingredients around and I need to keg a weissebeer I just made and I am going to reuse the yeast. I was thinking about a double heff between 7.5 and 8% abv with a IBU:GU ratio the same as my last heff which was about .27-.30 and maybe add a hop aroma at knockout or something to be different. I could also do a rye heff I suppose too in the same style, but I already did one of those which everyone more or less had quickly

My question then is, can I do a weissenbock with ale yeast (the bavarian wheat strain) or should it REALLY be done with lager? If it has to be a lager yeast, I can't quite do it yet since my lager fridge is currently full. I could keg this one though, so if it needs some serious lagering time I can give it that.

Weizenbock is typically fermented with weizen yeast. The bock appellation connotes the higher gravity, not the fermentation type.

Oh fantastic, I will check the style guides now! The books were sort of unclear with an extended cold crash with some of the recipes. Excellent to know, thanks!

Weizenbock IS typically an ale. If I recall correctly, they began as a way to get the rich
character of a bock/doppelbock at an ale fermentation timetable.

Back