A weird idea for how to crush grain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Use a bar blender. A few quick pulses and you're home free.

Not the most adjustable method, but certainly the cheapest I can see.

Discussion?

I think the idea with crushing grain is to keep the husk as intact as possible to aid in filtering... blending or food processing would pulverize the husk into dust. If I recall correctly, I believe there are even breweries (and home brewers) that moisten their grain slightly prior to crushing in order to aid in keeping the husk pliable enough to remain intact while crushing the insides. For small partial mashes that use a fine nylon bag to filter (or something similar), I'd think a blender or food processor would be adequate, but not ideal.

I may also be missing a design feature, but the continuous flow on food processors are usualy only applicable to the slicing or shredding disks that sit on the top of the bowl, not the blade in the bottom, which would still require the bowl to be emptied. The model above appears to be this type. It would have to be like a buffalo chopper to do grain continuosly... side mount where the grain rotates through the blade and comes out.

The pasta roller tweak is the best home kitchen appliance mod I have seen for grain.

You could probably still do BIAB with the above... but I think efficiency would suffer with husky chunks.

Try and let us know!

Back