A variety that is not like what I currently have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
My Teamaker is being deemed a failure for brewing. So that means I get a new variety to grow!!!
I currently have lots of Centenial, a Mt Hood and a Spalter Select. I want a variety that is not like what I currently have. I would go for a Mosaic or a Citra but they are not available for home growers.
So any recommendations for a high alpha to compliment what I have. I'm probably going to stick to wheat, APA's and Saisons.
Thanks,
Scott

*Columbus or Chinook for your APA's: Both good producers

*Brewers Gold for your Saisons: Prolific producer IME

*Vanguard for your wheats (more vigorous Hall-Mitt variety IME). Although you have something similar w/ Mt. Hood & Spalt. I picked up some Vanguard from Great Lakes Hops last year and they're very happy and ready to pick. Some Neo-Mexicanus ("Neo" or "Neo1") might also be nice in a wheat beer. They're lemon bombs with decent AA%. I've seen rhizomes at GL and other online retailers. My Neo is on its third year and producing heavily. ...plus Neo gives you endless Matrix-themed beer possibilities, and we all know the importance of a cool name

I'd recommend crystal for wheats. It also does good in apa's. It grows like my other C hops, yet has a German flavor and is haut different. I've grown to really love them

Based on your selections currently, Chinook and Zeus (Columbus as substitute) are excellent choices for your Centennial. Would make a knockout IPA, and you can mix up the hop additions and play around with them until you find exactly what you like.

Mt. Hood and Spalter cover your wheats and European style beers. Maybe something that's neutral and all encompassing, and can be used in stouts, porters, uncommon specialty beers, just in case you decide to venture into those styles. For this, I love Nugget. Northern Brewer is good, Willamette is good (if you can get it to grow), I supposed you could even use Chinook for these too. Those would work well also in your wheat and saison styles. You'd be covered with the Zeus and Chinook for your APAs.

It all really depends on your tastes and the styles of beer you like. Some like Chinook, others despise it. It may be worthwhile to brew with a few styles you can buy first, then make your selection.

I'm going to order through Great Lakes Hops and the Chinook was the one I noticed before I posted. Switchback Extra Pale Ale is a Centennial, Chinook and Cascade pale ale and quite good. I'm not real scientific with my brewing yet so I think Chinook is going to win.
Thanks for the suggestions,
Anyone want a Teamaker rhizome?

Thanks for the offer, but I must decline. I'm going to thin my 12 plants down to the 8-10 best producing varieties for my area next year.

Back