A Tribute to Hunahpu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Is that pale chocolate or regular?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Regular chocolate, 350SRM I believe.

I use the pale and regular in my porters and lesser stouts as I like the milk chocolate note they give together, but in this recipe I figured it would be washed.

I would be right. It's got a heavy, tar like roasted note to it, very coffee and chocolate forward.

Bottled 2 gallons of mine on Monday. Came out extremely thick and tasy from the sample. The roast isn't where i would like it, next time I think I will up the roasted barley and chocolate malt each by 1/2 lb, in addition to another lb of extract to compensate for efficiency. I am extremely happy with this recipe and style of over the top imperial stout. I transferred 2.5 gallons to a 3 gallon carboy onto .8oz of Hungarian oak cubes for extended aging. The cubes were soaked in 12 year el dorado rum, approx 4 oz. I added roughly two ozs of the rum and then 2 oz of non extra aged el dorado to avoid adding too much in the way of tannin's. I will take a sample in about 1.5 months and gauge how many more months is necessary.

So the wife and I had a bottle of this last night, from the recipe I posted back in Dec. She said "You made THIS beer?!?!?" It is hitting all the notes, perhaps a touch lighter in body compared with Zhukov, but the intense roast, chocolate flavors upfront, toast and nutty notes next with some very light dark fruit and perfumy alcohol notes as it warms. The only thing it is lacking is complexity, but it is only 2 months old! I am super excited to see what this becomes at 1 year. It makes my stuck mash from hell worth it I guess.

This beer is going to be my first high gravity beer. From what I've read, the best approach is to double batch sparge which I understand. However, should I split the amounts into 3 or what? Is that going to be enough to cover this much grain? Usually it's like 1.25 quarts per lb right? I want to make sure I get this brew right because it costs so much to make. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This beer is going to be my first high gravity beer. From what I've read, the best approach is to double batch sparge which I understand. However, should I split the amounts into 3 or what? Is that going to be enough to cover this much grain? Usually it's like 1.25 quarts per lb right? I want to make sure I get this brew right because it costs so much to make. :-/

You can mash a bit thicker if you need the room, and then split it into 3 sparges if you feel the need to. Be aware of your pH on the last runnings if need be.

Boil longer if you have to sparge more to get as much as possible.

When I brew my recipe again next time, I'm going to do a 120min boil versus the 90.

Yeah mash thick and use more water to sparge. By boiling longer you can sparge more so a longer boil will help you extract more sugars as well.

Anyone going to Hunahpu Day this weekend?

We will be there. Also attending the barrel aged event at pegs cantina and foeder for thought at green bench brewing on Friday.

Really wish I could be at pegs Friday! So jealous, Nooner, Rare Dos, and Rarer were all some of the best beers I have ever tasted.

Really wish I could be at pegs Friday! So jealous, Nooner, Rare Dos, and Rarer were all some of the best beers I have ever tasted.

I'm excited...I've never had any of them.

Oh. That does not sound fun.

I'm sure it won't be. I figured it wouldn't be a problem since I would be waiting forever for a 4oz sample, but then I heard they are having 40 tap stations instead of the 7 they had last year (which could just be a rumor, but the guy on BA who said it seems to work there). Maybe I will be getting a cheap room for the night.

Heading over Friday am for pegs. Staying at the HoJo. CGMLS3 on BA. Anyone want to bring some of their versions of this beer to do a tasting?

I'll be there. I'll be serving homebrew in the morning with PUBGuild and then working the Tampa Bay Beer Week tent from 2p-6p. Come say hi! I'm the big guy with the barely-there goatee!

Jason, I plan on bringing my first attempt at kern rivers DIPA. I'll try to find you so you can try it.

I'll be there. I'll be serving homebrew in the morning with PUBGuild and then working the Tampa Bay Beer Week tent from 2p-6p. Come say hi! I'm the big guy with the barely-there goatee!

I look forward to trying it and meeting you! I'll probably be wearing my "Add More Hops" shirt from FermentedTees. (shameless plug: it's an excellent shirt and I highly recommend them!)

First year I'm not attending and wish I was!

Holly crap. That was insane. So many people had fake tickets, supposed to be less than last year, felt like twice a many people. And the sad part is the flack that ccb is getting over others scamming. Don't get me wrong they should have been checking and properly scanning tickets. Still very sad they are gonna lose that 150,000. Huge hit for such a small company.

Holly crap. That was insane. So many people had fake tickets, supposed to be less than last year, felt like twice a many people. And the sad part is the flack that ccb is getting over others scamming. Don't get me wrong they should have been checking and properly scanning tickets. Still very sad they are gonna lose that 150,000. Huge hit for such a small company.

Right, I read a article the day of the event about the "strange" amount of tickets available on Craigslist. There are tons of events in the same price range with non-duplicable tickets (try to get into the Daytona 500 with a fake ticket). Use better tickets and make them buy their allotment as soon as you walk in the door. You might have to schlep around all day with 3 bottles if beer, but at least you got them. It sucks that they are taking the financial hit, but that event was horrible.

I guess I'm glad that I couldn't make it. Wow! Remember that the losses that they are taking are only in costs, they sold out the hunahpu right? And should have made some decent coin on those sales. At 50 bucks a pop they stood to make a healthy profit off if a few samples as who knew their costs. part of the reason I was going back and forth about going was the expense of a ticket. I knew me and my wife wouldn't drink damn near that much to make up for it.

I am pretty sure CCB has more income than any of the attendees, so I would rather see them lose than all the people that paid money to attend the cluster****. ....It was the worst event experience of my life.

The $150,000 or whatever they "lost" is because people did not get what was advertised or what they paid for.

Yeah, I read that it was an absolute **** show. Worse time ever.

CCB has plenty of money. Joey's dad will back up whatever the hell they need. The refunds for the event is a drop in the bucket, the damage control they have to do is where they will make up the losses.

I hate it for the folks who flew in to the event and traveled really far, booked rooms, and took time off work for that **** show. It's just beer, and beer geeks can **** up a good time quick.

I hate it for the folks who flew in to the event and traveled really far, booked rooms, and took time off work for that **** show. It's just beer, and beer geeks can **** up a good time quick.

I'm a little disappointed, but I would be very disappointed if I didn't ignore their advise and show up early. The people that did ignore their advise were rewarded by access to purchase a case of double barrel hunahpu and unlimited other rare ones, so how does that work!?

I did miss out on my 3 bottles which I'm bummed about, and the event was awful after 1pm. All in all I flew across the country and got to try 5 or 6 beers I really wanted, hang out at some crazy bottle shares, and purchase some rare ones, so I guess I'm happy?.. Not really sure. Pegs was awesome though!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Honestly, I really like the move to send it out to distribution. The only reason there is a ton of hype for this or any other beer is the exclusivity, and the hype just makes **** crazy! It is just beer but as long as CCB is whipping up the craziness by charging 50 bucks just for the privilege to buy a few 20 dollar bottles of beer, things like this will only get worse (thinking of DLD of course).

I think a better move would be to just have a beer fest marking the day that these bottles go out to distribution, not actually selling them at the event, which brings the crazies out and people looking to score a bunch and turn them out for a hansom profit on the "black" secondary market.

I talked to one guy that was a concert promoter and claimed he was pretty good at doing an accurate head count by just looking at a mass of people. He estimated that at one point during the afternoon, there was 8,000 (including the people still in line to get in). If he's correct, that's an incredible amount of fake tickets.

I talked to one guy that was a concert promoter and claimed he was pretty good at doing an accurate head count by just looking at a mass of people. He estimated that at one point during the afternoon, there was 8,000 (including the people still in line to get in). If he's correct, that's an incredible amount of fake tickets.

Assuming this is true (I've heard 8-9-10k people) wouldn't this be worth a police investigation? That's serious fraud, committed primarily by a few people most likely.

Or a lot of additional tickets that were sold by CCB/eventbrite but not reported. I highly doubt there were more fakes than real tickets. A couple hundred? Maybe. Thousands? Unlikely.

............ I highly doubt there were more fakes than real tickets. A couple hundred? Maybe. Thousands? Unlikely.

Maybe you're right, but a few days before the event, there were A LOT of different craigslist ads selling tickets. Some can still be found.

I really hope after the pain wears off, Joey gets talked into restoring it and hiring a crew that's experienced at managing these events along with comparing ID's with names on the ticket. Doesn't take many $175,000 losses to justify that expense.

I had a ball. I don't tend to go for rock stars in music, literature, movies or beer, so my expectations weren't wrapped up in "scoring" my Hunahpu's. I attend every year and rarely buy my allotment. I'll enjoy the fest more next year when it doesn't revolve around fanatical rock star beer groupies rending their garments and tearing their hair for a glimpse of their god. Bierdos!

Seriously, The past two years I went I had a blast, but actually lining up to get the Hunahpu was the biggest pain of the day! I'm glad to hear that it is being distributed but I would love to still have the fest to celebrate the release, just not the direct sale.

And please remember that this is not a "loss" of 175,000 or what ever the ticket sales came out to. The only lost is the outlaid costs for the day, being the extra staff, permitting for the event, off duty cops to help crowd control, and then the beers poured (if they even paid for this beer in the first place). They actually sold all the bottles of hunahpu, so no loss there either (not to mention probably the highest profit margin beer they make, with no middle man distributors cut and it goes for 20 bucks a pop!). It is fair to say that they "missed out" on the 175,000 dollars in revenue, but it is not a loss as it is that people paid in the first place.

I'm curious about the El Cantadors club members, who's exclusive "special" hunahpus were reportedly sold to the general public, at a ONE CASE LIMIT per person! Is this true for those who went as it seems like a huge slap in the face to the most loyal supporters?

Seriously, The past two years I went I had a blast, but actually lining up to get the Hunahpu was the biggest pain of the day! I'm glad to hear that it is being distributed but I would love to still have the fest to celebrate the release, just not the direct sale.

And please remember that this is not a "loss" of 175,000 or what ever the ticket sales came out to. The only lost is the outlaid costs for the day, being the extra staff, permitting for the event, off duty cops to help crowd control, and then the beers poured (if they even paid for this beer in the first place). They actually sold all the bottles of hunahpu, so no loss there either (not to mention probably the highest profit margin beer they make, with no middle man distributors cut and it goes for 20 bucks a pop!). It is fair to say that they "missed out" on the 175,000 dollars in revenue, but it is not a loss as it is that people paid in the first place.

I'm curious about the El Cantadors club members, who's exclusive "special" hunahpus were reportedly sold to the general public, at a ONE CASE LIMIT per person! Is this true for those who went as it seems like a huge slap in the face to the most loyal supporters?

I am not a el Catador member, but the 2 that were standing in line with me didn't seem upset about it, and instructed me as to which ones were the better beers. On BA though, the general consensus was the el catador members were losing their minds.

On BA though, the general consensus was the el catador members were losing their minds.

Well, many of us were surprised by the sale of the beers that we, erroneously, believed were more or less exclusive to the club. Also, there was the fact that they asked people to show up fashionably late and sold the beers by the case, which meant that the people who actually followed their instructions not to line up early had no chance of getting them.

Overall, I don't think it's a big deal. I have my beers. I had fun at Hunahpu's Day, despite all the issues.

I'm an El Catador member and was a little mad they sold 72 cases of DB Huna to the public like they did. Don G has been in the taproom since November. Hope they take the feedback for the 2nd edition and maybe offer more extras to the club members aside from 1.

Back