A "Thirdary"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabama Brewer

Reaction score
I have a Blonde that has been over 2 weeks fermenting. 10 days primary, then secondary . After racking to secondary I introduced 1 oz of Amarillo hop pellets directly into the brew.

Gravity is 1.010. Activity has ceased. The hop "dust" is suspended throughout the 5 gallon batch and I am patient and not in a hurry to bottle this. Will be out of town for the next 2 weeks.

Would it be ill-advised to rack, (with a racking filter), to a clean carboy to help clear, and store for the next 2 weeks until bottling?

homebrewer_99 said:
The word's "tertiary", and IMO I don't think it's necessary. ;)

+1 Leave that sucker alone in the secondary. I've left mine for months in the secondary to clear up, or just to wait until I have time to bottle it.

loop

Thanks for the opinions. I think my biggest problem is that I don't have any other brews going so I was wanting to play with this last batch to fill the need for brewing/bottling activities.

Just curious, is there a down side to transferring again? Yeast issues, etc?

oxidation issues. another possible risk of contamination. the fact it doesn't need to be racked again.

gravity should have been 1.010 in primary. secondary is for clearing only, not fermentation.

in 2 weeks when you return if its not clear enoguh, do a gelatin fining, then bottle a couple days later

Back