Quantcast

A tale of two beers...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

jsb

Reaction score
It was the best of beers. It was the worst of beers. Anyway, about 7 weeks ago I brewed my first all grain as described here. Two weeks later, using the same process, finings, etc, but newfound knowledge, I brewed an all grain Newcastle clone from AHS that went much better. For the Chimay, I did two weeks in the primary and three in the secondary, and then into bottles for two weeks.
The Newcastle was 3 weeks in the primary, and then two weeks in the bottle.
Both beers were stored in my beer closet (~68-70 degrees). After a week, I sampled one of each. The Chimay was flat, young, but had a good flavor. The Newcastle was medium carbonated and great flavor. This week I sampled one of each again. The Chimay was still flat (not undercarbonated, but flat), but still with a good, but young flavor. The Newcastle is getting close to great.

Both beers are remarkably clear and have very little yeast sediment in the bottle, but noticeably less in the Chimay. I know that RDWHAHB is the answer, or shake them up and move them to a warm place (warmer than 70?), but somehow this is just a little wierd. Why such a different outcome with two beers with consistent finishing techniques?

OP
jsb

jsb

Reaction score
Same yeast, OG and FG?
No. Not at all, so the comparisons are sketchy.
The Chimay was a 1L Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale 1388 starter. OG 1.085 FG 1.010
The Newcastle was a 1L Wyeast Whitbread Ale 1099 starter. OG 1.057 FG 1.014

balzern

Reaction score
Leave them at about 70 degrees for 2 weeks and then see how they taste! Honestly my brother, they will taste so much better after 2 weeks at 70 or above. I left about 2 carboys at above 70 degrees for two weeks and they tasted great! Give it time and have some craft beer!

VTBrewer

Reaction score
No. Not at all, so the comparisons are sketchy.
The Chimay was a 1L Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale 1388 starter. OG 1.085 FG 1.010
The Newcastle was a 1L Wyeast Whitbread Ale 1099 starter. OG 1.057 FG 1.014
Well there you go :)

Your two brews are really nothing alike at all, and are each doing their own thing. Enjoy!

OP
jsb

jsb

Reaction score
Yeah. I guess I just I knew that and just needed reassuring.

Latest posts