A Tale of 5 Pale Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
Me and the old lady bought 5 singles of pales from our local grocery store. They were...

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Stone Pale Ale
Founders Dry Hopped Pale Ale
Bells Pale Ale
Flying Dog Pale Ale

We blind tasted each of them, ranked them and tried to guess at which was which. With out telling each other which we liked most, both of our rankings came in exactly the same. This is odd because both of us like different brews. We were off in guessing which beer was which but overall did pretty well.

Bells was the crappiest. Smelled like toilet water. Tasted similar.
Sierra Nevada won best tasting. One thing I wrote down when I was blind tasting them was, "...this is what a pale ale should taste like."

It's interesting what you find when you "take the labels off" and go on what you taste. It's also refreshing to find beer you liked before still tasting really good.

It's interesting what you find when you "take the labels off" and go on what you taste. It's also refreshing to find beer you liked before still tasting really good.

hehehe, did this a couple of years ago with BMC's. It was pretty eye opening. I have heard people say you can't tell the difference between most of the american light lagers, (BMC beers). Well, it turned out to be true.

Back