A "Stiff" Country Time Pink Lemonade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkpq45

Reaction score
Hey All,

Brewed up 5 gallons of pink lemonade according to the directions on the mix-jug, added about 3 pounds of table sugar, boiled the whole mess and dumped it in the carboy with some Safale S-05 I had started up.

When I got up this morning, no activity. After further searching, I find that Country Time has potassium sorbate in the mix. BUT! I find that my airlock bubbles every so often when I checked it this evening. Not what you'd call speedy fermentation, but something's up.

Should I let it go or dump the whole batch? LHBS goddess says I'm done for, time to mix up a new batch without the K2S04.

I have a starter at 1.040 with 2.5tsp yeast nutrient and a packet of Lalvin 71B-1122 sitting in a 1.5L vodka bottle, yet to see activity there either--but it's destined for a version of Yooper's Hard Lemonade, depending on how "free" my 6.5gal carboy is tomorrow.

Any input?

unless your tyrying to free up a fermentor...what do you have to lose by letting it run its course?

It's not the color, it's the recipe. Fermenting a drink powder and sugar concoction just doesn't pass muster. Yooper's recipe is based on frozen concentrate, which contains real fruit juice.

It's not the color, it's the recipe. Fermenting a drink powder and sugar concoction just doesn't pass muster. Yooper's recipe is based on frozen concentrate, which contains real fruit juice.

theoretically whats the difference...i know its not going to be as good but will he get alot of fusel alcohol from the mix because of all the sugars?

Obligatory Simpsons...
"Where'd you get the lemons for that lemonade?!?!"
"I didn't steal them. It's not ever real lemonade. It's Country Time!"

It's almost the equivalent of fermenting sugar water.
I'd say dump it and never look back.

hootch anyone? :drunk:

img_4.jpg

Bah, I dumped it. No airlock activity after 24 hours. Brewed up a new batch of something respectable.

Next time, make the lemonade normally with maybe 25% less water, and replace that with vodka.

Next time, make the lemonade normally with maybe 25% less water, and replace that with vodka.

Everyone says that, but to me (commercial) hard lemonade is different, just like mixing vodka with apple juice is different than apfelwein.

This isn't a fair comparison though, sweet and sour is a lot like lemonade and it is a common mixer whie apple juice is not.

But, hey, my hard lemonade is still going, maybe it just turns out so-so and that is why everyone recommends the vodka.

Fermentation is just fun...

hey all, I wanted to update this post for you all and anyone googling. I tried this same thing and at first it was BARELY going. I put about 1/4 cup sugar water in an empty wine bottle and started another batch of ec-1118. Once going I added about an equal portion of the lemonade out of the carboy. Day 2. I filled the bottle to about half way-still bubbling. Day 3 filled 3/4 with lemonade still bubbling. Day 4 filled to just below neck still bubbling so that afternoon I added to my 5 gallons. Next day carboy bubbling away.

Successful fermentation of the lemonade.

Full disclosure I did use the powdered form of the country time and I didn't read any sort of preservative ingredient for the powder.

I hope this helps someone!

Everyone says that, but to me (commercial) hard lemonade is different, just like mixing vodka with apple juice is different than apfelwein.

This isn't a fair comparison though, sweet and sour is a lot like lemonade and it is a common mixer whie apple juice is not.

But, hey, my hard lemonade is still going, maybe it just turns out so-so and that is why everyone recommends the vodka.

Fermentation is just fun...

Commercial hard lemonade is actually beer without hops...flavored malt beverage...completely different animal.

Back