A Starter is a Beautiful Thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
Post your starters!!!

Made on 03/30/2012 for a Belgian Trippel
2012-03-30_19-41-55_621.jpg

do most of you decant the starter or just dump the whole thing into your beer?

do you mean"big" as a quantifiable portion or "big" as in high OG?

I personally have never decanted. Never cared enough to. I figure the small amount of wort isnt going to hurt anything.

My yeast starters are unstoppable. I wash yeast and grab from our library. Usually, around 2nd or 3rd generation and up, the yeast never quits, even after cold crashing. They come out to warm up and krausen forms all over again, even after 30+ hours on a stirplate. Starters are the way.

I just started harvesting the yeast from the bottom of a St. Bernardus Abt 12. This is what I've got after about a day.

st_bernardus.jpg

i thought they used a different yeast in their bottles than they do in the fermenters

Blew it's lid! Did a "step-up" starter where one was inoculated with the other.

2012-01-07%2010.52.36.jpg

2012-01-07%2013.47.37.jpg

You guys and your fancy, high tech starters. I'm jealous... but for now, these work extremely well:

yeast_starter.jpg

i thought they used a different yeast in their bottles than they do in the fermenters

I investigated this a bit - from what I was able to find, it sounds as if the strain used at bottling is the same as what is used during fermentation. But who knows - hopefully it turns out alright. I'm going to brew an abbey next week and will hopefully use this.

I'm also brewing a Belgian quad - here's my WLP530 starter after decanting and ready to pitch:

yeast-starter.jpg

Ah yes yet another starter is born and ready to take the journey into my IPA this thursday

552327_801456099097_70601750_34929864_1322259252_n.jpg

hopcop said:
1028 starter for my Conways Irish Ale Clone.

Awesome beer! I would love to see your recipe. Neither of my CIA clones have been quite right.

buckeye2011 said:
Awesome beer! I would love to see your recipe. Neither of my CIA clones have been quite right.

This was my first attempt at it after tons of studying. When I brewed it, I gave it a taste and it was close. It's been in the fermenter since St. Patrick's Day. I tasted it the other day and it's pretty damn close.

10# 2-Row
1# Crystal 80L
8oz Victory
4oz Special Roast
4oz Belgium Biscuit

1oz Northern brewer 8.6%AA (30min)
1oz Hallertau 4.1%AA (10min)
.75oz Fuggles 4.4%AA (5min)
1T Irish moss (10min)
1028 London Ale 1.6L starter
Mash for 60mins at 153*F
Boil for 60mins
OG: 1.060
Current gravity 1.011
Cooled and pitched yeast at 60*F
Fermentation temp 64*F

I get good efficiency with my setup (80-85%) so make the adjustments accordingly. I plan on bottling this a week from Saturday.
Cheers!

Safale US-05 starter for my Black IPA. I built this up twice before pitching. This was my first starter ever. It worked awesome. :rockin:

blogger-image--1717256931.jpg

This was my first attempt at it after tons of studying. When I brewed it, I gave it a taste and it was close. It's been in the fermenter since St. Patrick's Day. I tasted it the other day and it's pretty damn close.

10# 2-Row
1# Crystal 80L
8oz Victory
4oz Special Roast
4oz Belgium Biscuit

1oz Northern brewer 8.6%AA (30min)
1oz Hallertau 4.1%AA (10min)
.75oz Fuggles 4.4%AA (5min)
1T Irish moss (10min)
1028 London Ale 1.6L starter
Mash for 60mins at 153*F
Boil for 60mins
OG: 1.060
Current gravity 1.011
Cooled and pitched yeast at 60*F
Fermentation temp 64*F

I get good efficiency with my setup (80-85%) so make the adjustments accordingly. I plan on bottling this a week from Saturday.
Cheers!

I'm going to give this a shot soon. The Biscuit might be what I've been missing.

Thanks!

buckeye2011 said:
I'm going to give this a shot soon. The Biscuit might be what I've been missing.

Thanks!

Good luck. I have a sixer of CIA ready for when I'm ready to drink them. Please let me know how your results are.
Cheers!

ok now i am fairly certain THEY dont use the same yeast in their ales as they do for carbing.

pwndabear said:
ok now i am fairly certain THEY dont use the same yeast in their ales as they do for carbing.

Why would you think that? I'm curious to what is in my starter anyways. In not fairly confident it's the actual yeast either. Just saw it in the bottom of the bottle and went with it.

There were a few companies that bottle carbonate that are not at all shy about saying they dont use the same yeast strain to ferment than they do to carb. i got it wrong earlier on another company, but i have heard ommegang uses a different yeast.

then again, i could be wrong. you should call and ask them ;D

Back