A spice rub in a beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeynar1977

Reaction score
Has anyone out there tried adding a spice rub to a beer? Some buddies of mine own a BBQ joint and want to incorporate their rub into a recipe.
I might imagine its similar to doing a Christmas or pumpkin beer, in theory. This will be interesting nonetheless. It's a pale ale by the way. Doing one recipe with all Citra hops and the other will have a small amount if smoked malt and some other hops. I plan on adding the rub to a few bottles during bottling.

Don't rubs usually include a lot of salt? I cannot see how that would be all that good. Why not instead figure out good beers that pair well with different rubs or BBQ sauce?

If you put that stuff it a bottle and it does not dissolve you run a HIGH risk of having gushers because the spices will act as a nucleation point for the co2.

What kind of spice rub? Even sweet spice rubs generally have onion powder and paprika in them...I think a lager with a minimal amount of the rub could work, kind of like what these guys do.

Or do a smoked beer...Use summit hops maybe? Crazy idea.

Ha ha! I thought about the salt thing and I do have a recipe for a pale ale using smoked malt.
I didn't think this would work because another brewery wouldn't do it for them. I have to at least say I tried it.

Back